1.5 kW 80mm ER16 Air Cooled Spindle on 110 VAC

I’ve really enjoyed it! Setup was a breeze, the cables have nice workmanship, and air cooling has been plenty for my purposes. I haven’t ran any overly lengthy programs, but no cooling issues for me thus far. I did have to enter the modbus parameters a couple times to get the settings to take in the controller, but it sounds like the new Masso controller will have a more plug and play experience. I believe the new firmware may also have a @PwnCNC selection in the common VFDs drop down, which would also be nice for set-up. At least that’s what Daniel was saying when I bought my kit (?). That said, I’ve been weary of updating firmware given some of the reported issues with the new build(s).
I do think this is a good partnership between PwnCNC and Onefinity. Honestly, the cables are very nice to simply purchase pre-fabricated.
The only thing I’m a little bothered by is the 80mm spindle mount. To utilize the full z clearance under the x-rail, my mount is grabbing the bottom of the spindle body. The spindle is not very well supported in this configuration and there seems to be a slight resonance around 12-14K rpm for my vertical cantilever beam mounting scheme.

My current plan is to slide the spindle down in the 80mm mount and just accept the reduced z clearance since those are nice spindle speeds to run at given the machine feed rates and target chip loads. I’m pretty sure this is less of an issue with the new Z20 / Elite series machines which have more z travel.
I’ve done some decently aggressive cutting with this and it’s done well. One of my main desires was for the larger 1/2” collet compatibility so that I could use insert cutters with large radius ball nose profiles, but will have to report back on that since I haven’t made the leap on the purchase for those yet.
Overall I’m pleased with the kit. If you’re serious about running your spindle a lot, you might consider the water cooled spindle kit they offer. Just wasn’t worth the hassle for my situation. Cheers!

2 Likes