7/31/2020 update - Z Slider Upgrade for ALL! (outdated as of 2020)

update: 10/4/21
This thread is over a year old and we wanted to clarify. The ONLY z slider that ever went into production is the ‘upgraded’ one. There is only one z slider. The ‘upgrade’ part is in refrence to the specs BEFORE they went into production.
Yes, you have and will get the ‘upgraded’ z slider.

Hello Onefinity Subscribers!

I hope this update finds you doing well and keeping safe! It is with great pleasure that I share with you, all pre-orders will be receiving the new upgraded 135mm travel Z-Slider free of charge! Along with the benefit of more travel, it also features 16mm solid Linear Shafts and 3 separate mounting locations for maximum customization. We are offering this upgrade to all pre-order customers free of charge as a way of saying thank you for all the amazing support!

Production Update:

Production is in full swing! We have nearly completed the assembly of all the first batch of Rails. The Controller extrusion should arrive in the next day or two. Next week brings all the outstanding parts, which include the Z-Slider components, along with our custom packaging. The team is working very hard and as of today we are still on schedule!

We have heard the feedback and requests from customers about offering an 80mm spindle. Right now, we are focused on getting our machines out to our preorder customers and completing the core accessories. Once that has been finished, the 80mm spindle is at the top of our project list.

As always, if you have any questions or need assistance with anything please email us at info@onefinitycnc.com or give us a call at 1888 717 4242.

17 Likes

This is great guys! I’m sure I speak for all when I say thank you for doing this for us! Could you guys give some detail on the specs for the original? Just curious how different it is from the first one.

6 Likes

If I’m reading the spec sheet right the original had 4 inches of travel, this one shows 135mm which is 5.314961 inches

7 Likes

This is an exciting development. One spec I have not seen is for the ancillary mount holes on the front. I can see making a lot of tool holders for that spot.

3 Likes

Our though was a lot of accessories can bolt right onto the front.

7 Likes

SWEET! Thanks Onefinity! I’m even more excited to see that you will be working on a 80mm mounting option for those of us looking into decent spindles to add to our machines. This opens up the options considerably! You guys are awesome!

6 Likes

Best news of the day… hands down! Thanks for the extra travel on the Z-axis this and the 80mm backlog prioritization is a great way to kick off a weekend!

Keep up the great work!
Alex

2 Likes

Best email I’ve gotten all week. That Z looks BEEFY! So excited! Thanks for the update OneFinity

2 Likes

Forgive my ignorance but I am completely new to all this so what else could you mount onto it and what would that allow you to do?
Thank you so much for your hard work.

1 Like

A laser unit (JTech Photonics), a sharpie, a GoPro,… Anything! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Bikerdan… The original version had 4" of travel and used 12mm solid linear shafts. The new version has 5.315" of travel and uses 16mm solid linear shafts. The new version also has 3 mounting locations. This is beneficial because it allows you to raise the Z-Slider to increase gantry clearance if you are using really thick material or lower the Z-Slider if you want to carve into a table. Hope this helps.

7 Likes

Still early, but this is the best I’ve ever felt about purchasing a pre-release product. You guys are really killing it.

4 Likes

Helps a ton. If you guys keep up the communication and quality of service there is no doubt you are going to demolish the shapeoko. Frankly that’s probably the only real trick in there bag.

2 Likes

Very awesome! Now the confusing specifications make sense.

Does the Stiffy limit the z travel with this z slider? There was comments about this before, I think on one of the beta test machines.

2 Likes

Hey Garrett… No the Stiffy does not limit the Z Travel. Thanks for asking!

2 Likes

No need to apologize for being a newbie.

A few things off the top of my head:

• Drag knife, great for cutting wood laminate, leather, and several other things that do better with a knife blade than a spinning cutter
  • sharpie, do drawings or layout
  • permanent cloth markers, make t-shirts
  • a diamond scratch tool, marking glass and metal
  • laser, engraving, and cutting
  • small air drill, much better than the router for drilling lots of holes
5 Likes

Wow I’ve got so much to learn how exciting I want to learn as much as I can.

1 Like

It is great but realize that there WILL be frustration. That is one reason I’m not too disappointed to not got one of the first ones out. By the time mine arrives there will be folk that have already worked through things unique to the onefinity and be able to help me with those.

2 Likes

Just to clarify . . . Will Onefinity be offering an 80mm spindle or just the mount?

1 Like

Hey Stephen… Just the mount.

2 Likes