Choice and Efficiency of OF Dust Collection Shoes

Newbie questions. How well do the dust collection shoes work? I was thinking I might need an enclosure for the OF; but don’t want to build one if the dust shoes work really well.

The Infinite Dust Collection Kit includes two dust collection shoes, Suckit (with the hose in front) and PWNCNC (with the hose at the rear).Why two different shoes? Are they both useful? Is one better than the other, or better in certain situations; or is it just a matter of personal preference?

I presume the dust shoes detach easily in order to change bits?

I see that both attach to the Z-gantry. Other shoes I’ve seen attach to the router itself. Is that design worse?

Do most people use a 2 1/2" dust collection hose (which the shoes are designed for)?

I presume that the PWNCNC dust shoe projects past the back of the OF footprint when the X-rail is at its rearmost position (just as Suckit shoe projects past the front of the OF footprint when the X-rail is at its frontmost position). If so, by how much?

1 Like

They both work but they still let chips and dust scatter.

I believe the PWNCNC was made for machines with enclosures. It doesn’t hang off the front like the Suckit and create a clearance issue.

No, the PWNCNC has to be pulled to the rear due to clearance. The factory OF hangers have a backstop in them that doesn’t allow it to be pulled out of the rear. So you have to loosen the hangers and deflect them to release the boot and pull it to the rear. For me it is a giant PITA to use it that way. So I printed some new hangers with rotating tabs that allow it to be pulled to the rear. A much better arrangement from my perspective.

I do and I use a Fein vacuum that automatically comes on with the router.

No, it doesn’t and that is its primary benefit.

Here’s are a couple of photos of my stalks I printed with the rotating stop for the PWNCNC. They also work for the Suckit so they are on the machine at all times now.
![PXL_20211224_034836027|375x500]

new vs original
(upload://viFrVPHjJhEH88TfZ7cRpYKWTx3.jpeg)

3 Likes

Very nice modification of the SuckIt arms and exactly what how i designed the PwnCNC arms which are designed for my v2/v3 boots. The ability to pull the boot backwards to disengage the arms is an extremely valuable feature.
Of course… there are many folks who just leave the boot v2/v3/v8 in the arms all the time. Raising their router for bit changes or what-not

2 Likes

crz383, how quiet is the Fein vacuum? I have been thinking about going with one. Thanks in advance.

I’ve done a lot of research and own many extractors as a result. The Festool CT-26 (with variable suction control)… at it’s highest is just as loud/quiet as the Fein Turbo 1. This does mean the CT-26 can be quieter at lower suction settings though.
You won’t be disappointed with the Fein… i use it in my print-farming room to cleanup 3d print messes… but it’d work perfectly on the Onefinity cnc.
Note that i also have a Rigid and it is horribly loud by comparison.

4 Likes

@PaulC The Fein is a fine performer in terms of noise. It is quieter than my Festool and orders of magnitude quieter than my other bigger dust collectors.

I have dedicated the Fein to my Onefinity setup and do not move it around the shop. I use a dust separator upstream of the Fein to catch most of the chips and make dumping chips easier. For its size and flowrate, it does a decent job.

3 Likes

@PwnCNC Daniel, it is too bad that Onefinity doesn’t make the simple modification to their Suckit arms.

What drove me crazy was having to remove the boot with all the shenanigans required just to use the probe block. The arms I printed with the rotating stop work great now. Fusion and Prusa for the win!

I have used the probe with the v8 attached. There’s a bit of a technique but it’s possible.
I usually raise the v8 just above the top of the prob so it doesn’t interfere as the machine does it’s thing.
I’ll also have the v8 face piece off so i can fully see what’s going on.
Of course this technique would be an issue if you have really small bits, but for the standard 1/4" endmills, it’s usually not a problem.

Hey all,

the need to slide the new v8 dust boot backwards seems obvious (= the need
for the Onefinity Dust Boot arms to be open on the back)

Thanks for your comments, Alphonse. It sounds as if I need to build an enclosure to contain debris not collected by the dust shoe.

Although I have a professionally-installed dust collection system for my woodwork shop, I also have a Fein vacuum for general cleanup and the Festool Domino. It’s quite an old Fein but quiet compared with my Rigid. I expect newer ones would be quieter.

Your stalks look very professional. I’ve been thinking about getting a 3D printer. Which Prusa do you have? Did you print the stalks on it?

Hey Daniel,

do you mean these? In what do they differ (except from the tracks being open on the back)?

Hey Bob @crz383,

see here

1 Like

Yes those are them. Although my arms are not compatible with the SuckIt boot nor my v8 design. My arms are only compatible with my z-independent designs v2, v3, or v4… and an upcoming 4" design coming soon.
This might help explain the differences between my arms and the Suckit arms: SuckIt Arms Compatibility - PwnCNC

2 Likes

Hey Daniel,

thank you this explains it well!

1 Like

@crz383 Bob, I thought I would build an enclosure too but have decided against it. My experience thus far is that I prefer to have it open for work access, cleaning, and maintenance.

Yes I printed the stalks. I have a Prusa Mini +.

1 Like

The only enclosure I’ve come across so far is the one with the flip-up front. And, with it, I wondered about getting access to the sides and back for cleaning and maintenance.

Hey Alphonse,

you cut in two the source code of one of your pictures, here it is put together:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the feedback.

NOW I know what you mean from rotating stops. Could not see that in the flat plan view…

Do/can you share the print files, perhaps?