Firmware Update 1.0.9 (12/17/21) (Outdated Firmware)

I just updated my firmware to v1.0.9. In the tool configuration there were a bunch of settings with tool type set to PWM SPINDLE.
After the update the tool type is set to disabled. Do I need to set it to Makita router?

Any luck it solving the issue?

Hey Kevin,

In the original configuration according to the manufacturer’s assembly instructions, you use the trim router and power it on and off manually. Buildbotics (from which the Onefinity Controller is a fork) writes about this:

If the Buildbotics Controller does not control a spindle, set the ‘tool-type’ pull down menu to “Disabled”. When the spindle is “Disabled”, no other fields are present.

– Source: Buildbotics Manual V1.1 - Tool Configuration Tab

However many users have the desire that their router should be switched on and off by the program, like professional CNC machines do. One way is to set “tool-type” to “PWM Spindle” because then the “tool-enable” functionality is working then. You simply ignore the PWM control line, but then if your running gcode program encounters a “M3 Sxxxx” command, then pin 15 on 25-pin I/O port, accessible through a breakout board adapter is activated and if you connected a relay to it, you can let your router be switched on and off this way.

In the Onefinity Control Panel Remote @satoer also sets “PWM Spindle” as “tool-type” in order to use “tool-enable”=“lo-hi” for switching the trim router on and off.

In their new 1.0.9. version (see above), Onefinity offers a “Router (Makita etc.)” choice, have you tried it? Does it activate the “tool-enable” field?

Further Reading

How to use a Solid State Relay - Buildbotics.com

Tags: tool-enable, PWM spindle, Tool Configuration Tab

2 Likes

Did you get it fixed?

Sorry for the delay in getting back. To be honest I have not done anything other than lay around this last week. Sinus infections are no fun. Either today or tomorrow I plan to get back into the shop.

2 Likes

It appears to be the feed rate. Too low in my case. Min is 245mm/min.

I am connected to the internet and when I activate update firmware, nothin hapens except for a message that says updating firmware. Is there a step by step process to make sure I am doinf this right?

Hey David,

Check out the instructions that the 1F Team has posted here.

Cheers,
Neil

1 Like

Wait it out and see if it updates.

Thanks for the Maac tip ive been racking my brain trying to get it to update since wifi was unsuccessful

1 Like

I have let it attempt to update overnight but nothing happened. There must be a process issue? My Controller is connected to my PC via an ehternet cat5 connection, my PC is connected to the internet via a wireless connection. I have tried to initiate the Controller update when I am connected to the internet and then switching to my Controller Ethernet connection and that didnt work either. I am not sure what to try next. Can you help?

That’s why. When using the onefinity connected directly to a computer with cat 5, the WiFi must be turned off for it to work. Upgrade via usb stick.

Ran a job last night that started with a 1/8 bit, then changed to a 1/4 bit. The 1F paused when the 1/8 pass was complete, but I still had no control of the router Z height, so I couldn’t raise the router to change the bit or re-probe Z. Am I mistaken in my assumption that I should be able to do this?

Hey Watkins,

if the ‘tool-change’ field in the General Configuration Tab of the Onefinity Controller only contains

(Runs on M6, tool change)
M0 M6 (MSG, Change Tool)

then it does nothing more than exactly this: Displays a message to change the tool, stops the spindle, but it does not raise Z to allow it. But of course you can enter a tool change routine into this ‘tool-change’ field, it is made for that.
An example would be:

(Runs on M6, tool change)
M70
G21
S0
M0 M6 (MSG, Change tool and attach probe)
F100
(probe to minimum z soft limit, which is -10)
G38.2 Z-10
G92 Z15.4
g0 Z30
M0 (MSG, Remove probe, start spindle)
M72

See here for explanation of the G-code commands used here, more examples for tool-change routines, and more information. It allows e.g. tool change at home position or like with bitsetter or different things that you can imagine or create.

However jogging around in x,y,z during tool change event (M6) or during pause is not yet implemented.

It is a feature requested

5 Likes

You cannot jog during bit changes. You must separate each bit into it’s own file.

“Fixed ‘Disconnect’ when job is stopped or first tool is finished and waiting for a tool change” this is not a fix for what you’re describing.

1 Like

Hey Onefinity Support,

What does this fix description mean? I didn’t understand it too.

Hey Onefinity Support,

ah okay, this issue,

I was not aware that “Disconnected” appeared on tool change too?

2 Likes

Thank you. I guess I don’t understand the “waiting for a tool change” part. How would I do a tool change without re-probing z? Is this just a conflict between the gCode and the capabilities of the 1F controller?

Unless you huild a custom tool change macro, you split each tool to its own file and the you prove z before starting each file. It works really well and while I like the idea of pushing go and switching bits with a prompt I feel the separation of tools to files is cleaner and less prone to risk/failure for me.

4 Likes