Everything is Perfect

100% AGREE!

Hardware (rails, and motion) - 4.5/5
Controller Hardware - 2.5/5
Software - 2/5
OF Support (split) - Email support 5/5, Forum support 2/5

Stay tuned, as I hope to have a fix for the controller/software soon - sadly means throwing the BB box in the trash… so leaving us with a $2000 set of linear rails/motors. :roll_eyes:

Edit/Update: I wanted to add some specifics, as perhaps @TMToronto indicates, changes can occur based on feedback (as opposed to my general “it sucks” vibe :wink: (including positives and negatives and is my opinion, and does not reflect the views or stance of anyone else for which I may associate with.)

Software/Interface:

• UI is simply too small. I don’t care how good your eyes are, or small your fingers are, it’s simply too small. Touching the OK/Cancel buttons is a chore on most popups, as I’ve missed multiple times and then had to go hunting for what I needed to re-do it.
  • Usable / Needed UI components are not readily available. I mostly mean the Play, Open, Pause, etc those buttons on the default screen require a scroll. Why?! This is mostly important during a running job. If I run a job, I have to scroll in order to get to the pause button. THIS IS BAD! Yes, there’s the e-stop, but what if it’s not an emergency, I just realize… that’s not right… and want to pause. There’s no “quick” way of doing that.
    • I know some systems change their UI based on what’s going on. When the unit is running a job, different information is generally needed versus when setting up a job. I feel like this could greatly benefit from something like that. When running, give readily available controls front/center. But this is mostly an issue with the web-frontend if anything, and I can understand why it doesn’t do that.

Controller:

• I fully support the work Doug and Jo have put into the Buildbotics control system. The fact they could hack their way into it, and make it do what they wanted, great! But that was a “great” for 2017… we’ve moved past that now, and the need to hack an 8-bit AVR in order for it to run what you need is in the past. “Who would ever need more than 640k…” right?! There’s still a place for this, but I feel like if I were creating a product in 2020 (OF), I’d be looking at other options. (OpenBuilds Blackbox) (OpenBuilds option even has a PC-less control panel).
  • Lack of Feed adjust - based on the way the BB controller offloads the gcode parsing, I’m pretty sure this simply can’t happen. (would love to be proved wrong).
  • Lack of “resume from here” - but this might be larger than life, and using big-boy-toys has fouled my expectations.
  • Controller uses a male DB25 connector. This is wrong. Anytime you have a electrical connection where where voltage is present, it should be protected. In general this is done with a female style connector (think of your wall outlets). In the OF Controller’s take, you could easily get a chip to land on the back of the controller and short any of the pins. One might argue this was a carry over from Buildbotics, but from what I can tell, they reworked the enclosure already, re-specking for a female connector could have been made then too.
  • Wifi - lets build a unit with WiFi, and then put it into a box, which is built to limit EMI (to protect it’s contents). This one has been discussed in length. Just include a supported USB Dongle, or don’t advertise it as a feature.
  • Stall homing - I’m still on the fence about this. I see the convenience, and lack of needing homing switches, but the idea of telling a driver/motor to “hey to smack into that rail until you can’t, and let me know once it hurts” just feels ‘wrong’. It works, so won’t knock it too hard, but unsettling. (wasn’t sure if this was more driver/controller related or motor/hardware related) eye twitch

Hardware (Rails/Motors):

• These rails are SOLID, I was slightly skeptical after ordering, but once you have it in hand, this unit is stout! The rails are hollow, which again gave into my skepticism, but it makes running the wires smooth, and they do not more. The inclusion of the 3rd rail on X axis was a huge bonus, and kudos to OF for including this free (for pre-orders or other).
  • They didn’t peel the labels off the motors. I shouldn’t even have to say this, but they leave the information on there, even the website/model, etc. This makes replacement/upgrades cake! motors here
  • Portability - Although I don’t plan on moving my unit once setup, knowing I could, and easily is quite nice. During my initial setup, I moved it a few times, and enjoyed the fact that I could simply move each rail independently instead of an entire unit at once.
  • Stock cables are too short, end of story - either make them longer by default, or include the extension cables.
  • Z-Axis spindle mount - I question the design here of mounting the 65mm mount directly into the Z rail bearings (all one bracket). I can see where this will provide rigidity, but I question why they didn’t use a simple face mount, making alternative spindle mounts a much easier option. If they provided an obscure spindle, and only wanted people to use that, sure I’d get it - lock users in. But they don’t even provide a spindle, and only officially support one. Is this why they only officially support the one, because any other non 65mm spindle would require such heavy modifications? I’m speculating, but outside of “we got a good deal on this mounting system” - I can’t see much advantage.

Onefinity Support:

• When I first received my unit (mid October, but didn’t assemble until November), I ran into an issue with my Y2 motor not functioning. Emailed support, and received immediate responses. It ended up being a loose connector, one of the pins pulled out of the plug on the end of the rail. Simple fix, but they even posted up a quick video demonstrating how to get the end piece off to get to that plug. Top notch! This gave me a great first impression.
  • I won’t lie, I’ve had mixed feelings about the support here on the forums. It’s very Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde. At times they give in-depth and thorough responses with details, and genuinely feel like thy want to help. Then I turn around and see entire threads, of basic “yes”, “no” responses, with no feedback or follow up (in fact they have to conflict with their own forum rule and include extra “20 character” text just to meet the minimum requirement. I don’t know OF, or who’s behind the scenes, if it’s just one person who’s trying desperately to keep up with an active community and provide SOME response where possible… Yeah, I can see the issue, but in places where follow-up was requested and again shot down with minimum responses. It’s driven the stake a little deeper.
  • Software/Firmware Development - I wish the development/workflow was a little more open (source, branches in Github, Pull Request, etc.) but doesn’t seem like they have any interest in expanding that.

My Solutions:
I’ve remedied some of this myself. I’m a DIYer, I void warranties for a living (literally, that’s part of my day-job), I knew to a certain degree what I was getting into (without the deeper dive of the Controller), so here’s some things I’ve tweaked already:

• Wifi - I went the route of @muddyfeet and did the Pi mod - works fantastic now, even in a space where my wifi is already weak. I plan to hard wire in the future anyway though. (p.s. I modified a 2nd RPi, and simply moved the SD Card, not that it matters, but this way, the original Pi is intact (but I have a stack of these things anyway).
  • UI - mostly connect to my unit over LAN/IP from my shop computer now. It gives me a usable interface to work from. The only drawback is I’m 6 feet away from the e-stop when I click start… so click and pray :wink:
  • Controller - TBD - I plan on replacing this out right. I have a Centroid Acorn on hand already, and use it in other builds, so quite familiar and happy with it. It very much as that “industrial machine” vibe take from that what you will. But to experiment, I’ve ordered a CNC xPro v5 to try out along with CncJS for the UI.
  • Cables - I ordered the extension ones from OF. At the time the connectors were on back-order, and didn’t feel like waiting months or ordering 3000 female connectors. (I have since ordered a handful mostly to make future connections to the stock motors.
  • Spindle - TBD - I have no immediate need to change this, but will be looking into options to change either the Z axis or the default mounting block - just because I can.
6 Likes