Flip 10" display 180 degrees (works, but not supported by Onefinity)

I can wee it now. I will be screwing this up royally. With every tablet on the market that has auto rotate and they give us one without. AMAZING.

If we buy a tablet with the power input, hdmi plug and the ā€œcā€ plug will this cure the problem or will we still have to program it to switch the display. Are we programming the controller or the display unit? with the above information.

Ok everyone I have read every one of these postings on this strand. I am sooo confused.
what is the simplest way of doing this. comment about a keyboard wha key board hooked up to what?i hook up my computr to the controller and run my jobs with my computr do you mean that keyboard?
:exploding_head:

There are a couple of ways to do thisā€¦you can connect a keyboard (USB) directly to the controller and hit ctrl-t and then ctrl-c to get a terminal (see the posts above by cyberreefguru or mb0978).

The other option is to ssh to your controller via the IP address: ssh onefinity_IP. The onefinity_IP should be visible on the screen attached to the controller. In order to use ssh, you will have to open either a command prompt in Windows (or PowerShell or Windows Terminal), a Terminal on Mac, or any of the various terminals on Linux.

1 Like

Auto-rotation is typically handled by the OS/driver and even though every tablet on the market has support for it, itā€™s baked into the OS. The Onefinity controller is still running Linux in a configuration that mimics a desktop computer so auto-rotation isnā€™t really supported. Rotation detection requires hardware support and communication that is outside of the HDMI standard.

1 Like

Hey, I would like to mirror Davidā€™s comment.

This post is a smidge over my head.

I have gotten the controller into Terminal mode, but canā€™t figure out how to save.

Also, someone noted a typo or mistake.

Could somebody who understands the entire process perhaps recap it simply, pasting together the final, correct code?

Much appreciated.

Tom

PS. Might not be a bad idea for 1F to put together firmware update made for Flippers.

That would sure help some of us.

Hi Tom. I just got back into town and will be getting back on the machine tomorrow, which will include updating the firmware to 1.0.9 and making the modification again. If someone doesnā€™t beat me to it, Iā€™ll document the process more accurately and have something ready tomorrow.
Best Regards,
Mike

2 Likes

Thank you, Mike. Really appreciate it!

Hi Tom.
I ran into some problems that I will have to continue working on tomorrow. When I updated my firmware to 1.0.9 my screen did not flip back as I had expected so I couldnā€™t run through the process from scratch. Because of this, I decided to flash the SD card with the new 1.0.9 OS image so I could document the process on a fresh system. As of now, I can flip the screen 180 degrees following the same process but the touchscreen does not flip. Further investigation is needed to determine what changed between OS images (or if I screwed up) and how it can be corrected.
Best Regards,
Mike

Thanks Mike. Iā€™m surprised they have not supported the flip.

No it was my screw up. Rusty brain coming off a long vacation!
I got it working and will publish it later tonight. Iā€™m going to put it in the How-to section.

Thanks Mike

Tom Geary | Founder & Creative Director | School of Thought
544 60th Street, Oakland, CA, 94609
C 415.596.4154 D 415.685.4475

Brand Strategy | Campaigns | Videos | Sites | Event Activations

EDIT: Has anyone done a 90 degree rotation?
If so can you share a photo of what the UI looks like after rotation (i.e. in portrait mode) ?
Iā€™m considering doing this, but would definitely appreciate seeing how it looks.

After typing in line 8 I get the following error: cannot create regular file ā€˜40-libinput.conf.origā€™ : Permission denied.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Welcome @mbro23 ! To fix that try adding the sudo command in front, like this:
sudo cp 40-libinput.conf 40-libinput.conf.orig

Kudos to @chriscormier and @mb0978 for guidance.

I was going to but have been too lazy. I switched to a 21" monitor and find itā€™s really too big for me. I was hoping by switching rotation 90 degrees it would mean less scrolling.

Thanks @nathanskidmore - I had a friend stop by and he worked through it for me with your guidance. Very much appreciated!

any Pictures? Sounds like a good idea.

Hey Alex,

did it not? (I am not running the Onefinity Controller, I would assume vertical display orientation would save some scrolling)

Do you have the native resolution of the monitor being used by the Controller?