Flip 10" display 180 degrees (works, but not supported by Onefinity)

How can I rotate the orientation of the display on the 10" monitor 180 degrees?. I need the connecting cables on the left of the monitor rather than the right side.
Thanks, Chip

1 Like
  1. SSH to your cnc using user and password.

2. Run the following, ignore inside the brackets:
    a. sudo mount -o remount,rw /boot [makes the file system writable]
    b. sudo nano /boot/config.txt [edit the config file]

3. Add one of the following lines to the bottom of the file (0 is the normal configuration. 1 is 90 degrees. 2 is 180 degress. 3 is 270 degrees. Ctrl^o to save, confirm changes with Y and then Ctrl^x to exit the editor.):
    display_rotate=0
    display_rotate=1
    display_rotate=2
    display_rotate=3

4. Run the following, ignore inside the brackets:
    a. sudo mount -o remount,ro /boot [mounts file system as read only]
    b. sudo reboot [resets the machine]

5 Likes
  1. SSH to your cnc using user and password.
  2. Run the following, ignore inside the brackets:
    a. sudo mount -o remount,rw /boot [makes the file system writable]
    b. sudo nano /boot/config.txt [edit the config file]
  3. Add one of the following lines to the bottom of the file (0 is the normal configuration. 1 is 90 degrees. 2 is 180 degress. 3 is 270 degrees. Ctrl^o to save, confirm changes with Y and then Ctrl^x to exit the editor.):
    display_rotate=0
    display_rotate=1
    display_rotate=2
    display_rotate=3
  4. Run the following, ignore inside the brackets:
    a. sudo mount -o remount,ro /boot [mounts file system as read only]
    b. sudo reboot [resets the machine]

So how does a non-Pi/Linix speaking person do this? lol

2 Likes

Ha ha, that’s time for you to buy couple of beer and invite friend/neighbor for a little linux challenge. I suggest to take the beer after the job is done!

1 Like

What is SSH? I am experienced only in Windows only. Raspberry PI is Linux, right?

1 Like

Putty is an SSH client - free, just google for it. You’ll end up with a terminal session where you can run the commands listed.

1 Like

You can run a terminal session from the UI as well - that would “avoid” the ssh step. I can’t recall the command sequence to get the terminal window to pop up on the UI - I will search the forums and report back.

well that was easy:

Using the keyboard, hold down the Control key and press the “t” key followed by the “c” key. (Control-t, Control-c) This should open up a new terminal window.

Just received my machine with the larger Magedok touchscreen display. The procedure above rotates the display 180 degrees but does not rotate the touchscreen input. I followed the procedure below to rotate both the display and the touch input. Note: I use “vi” instead of “nano” so those following can substitute “nano” wherever “vi” appears.

1. Connect usb keyboard to controller
  2. Type: ctrl-t ctrl-c
  3. Type: sudo mount -o remount,rw /boot
  4. Type: sudo cp /boot/config.txt /boot/config.txt.orig
  5. Type: sudo vi /boot/config.txt
  6. Add the following line to the bottom of the file and save it
    display_rotate=2
  7. Type: sudo mount -o remount,ro /boot
  8. Type: cd /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
  9. Type: cp 40-libinput.conf 40-libinput.conf.orig
  10. Type: sudo vi 40-libinput.conf
  11. Locate the section with Identifier “libinput touchscreen catchall”
  12. Add the following line to this section below the line Driver “libinput” and save it
    Option “TransformationMatrix” “-1 0 1 0 -1 1 0 0 1”
    Note the spaces between the numerals and that there is no space between “-“ and “1”
  13. Type: sudo reboot
    Your display and touch input should now be rotated 180 degrees so the ports are on the left side.
9 Likes

Thanks Mike,

Just got my machine last week and did this over ssh today and worked great. Thanks for the detailed writeup.

Glad it helped! If you figure out how to remove the stand without breaking the thing let me know.

Best Regards,
Mike

I got lucky they shipped mine with out the mount on the back of the monitor. Still trying to find a good mount for 10". They did send me the mount but said to super glue it on the back of the monitor. Might try some fingernail polish remover / acetone on the back and see if you can get it to come off.

Hi Mike, Ho do I “save it”?

To save a file in vi editor you hit the escape key to get out of insert mode and into command mode then type :wq Enter
Note that is the colon key followed by the w and q keys followed by the enter key.
I don’t know about other editors.

2 Likes

:q! quits without saving - you might need that command occasionally :slight_smile:

:help gets you, well, help :wink:

-Tom

It’s not the same but a very loose comparison would be in MS-Windows think of opening a command prompt window where you have a text-based interface with the machine. Or if you remember life before Windows then a C:\ prompt in MS-DOS. Again not the same, SSH is more powerful, but close.

SSH is Secure Shell.

I hope they ship mine loose so I get a choice of using the supplied mount or something else.

@mb0978

Thanks Mike!
It works for my 10" monitor perfectly!

The only thing I needed to change from your instructions is on line 9, I just needed to use ‘sudo’.

1. sudo cp 40-libinput.conf 40-libinput.conf.orig

Thanks
-Chris

1 Like

I finally got this to work. I did have to make an adjustment to the mount.

1 Like

Just a note for people doing this: Take note that if you are copy and pasting the “Option” portion of Mike’s configuration change above (to 40-libinput.conf), you need to make sure the quotation marks are straight quotes and not the curly quotes that are in his post. You can copy and paste the following instead:

Option "TransformationMatrix" "-1 0 1 0 -1 1 0 0 1"

1 Like