How to get good maps for engraving?

I am making some cheeseboards for a friend. I wanted to surprise her with a little inlay of Vinalhaven Maine (a place she loves) in the board. I can’t figure out a good way to get a map outline of Vinalhaven without text online. Is there an easy way to do it? Every way with googlemaps seems to end up with text.

For the record I’m using Fusion. I haven’t figured out exactly how I’m going to get the picture to my model yet but I need the map first.

1 Like

Do you want streets and roads? Or just the shape?

There are a few “Map to STL” programs online and YouTube videos about them.

If you just want a good map to start with, try: https://www.maine.gov/mdot/mapviewer/ . You can control what’s displayed via the “Layers” tab. Go to the bottom of the layer listing where you see “Basemap Layer” and once it expands, you can turn off or on things like roads, contours, etc. You’d still need to grab the map and convert to an outline, but the you only have two colors to work with, tan for land and blue for water.

2 Likes

Oh cool thanks! I was hoping for just the outline because I wanted to do an inlay but I’m mostly seeing typographic stuff? But that’s cool.

Some of the map to STL programs, you can set the min and max height. I’m not at my computer right now, but I think if you set them both to 1 or similar it should give you a flat surface.

Or once you import into fusion, select outline and delete the rest.

I’ve been messing with maps on my laser; still waiting on my CNC. SnazzyMaps is a great free site for creating maps of whatever location you’d like. This video gives a rundown of how to do it, but using Adobe Illustrator. Maybe you can make it work with whatever software you have available.

2 Likes