Huanyang 110V, 2.2KW, WC Spindle / VFD for Sale, free shipping

Huanyang 110V, 2.2KW, Water Cooled Spindle / VFD with some Accessories for sale. $275 plus shipping.

Both items were bought around September. I have only bench tested the items. I have less than 30 minutes of time with power applied to the items.

The VFD was bought new from Amazon. The only indication that it isn’t perfect is one defect on one of the mounting feet.

Amazon VFD

The spindle was bought essentially new from another forum member. He also had only had it running long enough to test. It does not appear to have ever made a cut. It doesn’t even look as if the collet lock has ever had a wrench applied. (I haven’t for sure.)

Amazon Spindle

These come with:
Approximately 12’ of shielded power cable for the spindle.
Cooling line
Collet wrenches
Collet set
Manual (Also including a sheet showing my settings.)
Two custom brackets I made to allow side mounting.

It does not come with a water pump. I had to buy one and I will need the one I have. (I did not bench test it dry.) However, the previous seller said this one was what he used.

I am selling because I was given the wire/materials to go 220V. I have been wanting to be able to run my welder again when I am not running my CNC. I just made sense to go 220V

free shipping

Reply or PM me if interested.

Now I can offer Free Shipping

A friend works for FedEx and said he could ship anywhere in the US for around $20.

So ignore the last two pictures. If you are interested I can cover the shipping.

@OnefinityCNC I didn’t see a way to edit my original post. If you could remove the last two pictures of shipping costs and add Free Shipping to the title I would appreciate it. If not, that is OK too.

@Ziggy Ziggy, it looks like it’s an 80mm, yes?

Yes. It is 80mm. It will require the 80mm mount from Onefinity. I think the 80mm is necessary to run the 1/2" shank bits… but I am not certain. I seem to remember Pwncnc selling a 1.5Kw with the ER20 collet but I don’t remember if it was 80 or 65mm.

Bump - This is still available if anyone needs it. Thanks!

Why are you selling?

He mentioned it at the end of the post.

3 Likes

Yes, this is true. Also, a very generous person gave me a 220 VFD. Between that and the wire and such I decided to swithch. So I bit the bullet - albeit an expensive bullet - and bought a 220 spindle by the same MFG.

The ones that I am selling have never made a cut. Both pieces have only been run on a bench.

Regarding the “2.2Kw and 110V.” Yes, the math doesn’t work. You can’t get that much power from a 110/120V circuit. Neither is my 6HP Rigid Shop vac actually 6HP nor is my regular Porter Cable 3HP router actually 3HP. These are marketing/math tricks manufacturers use to sell products.

Most people know this already. So what I did was go to a number of forums (Reddit, CNCZone, etc.) to read about actual user experience. There were a number of users that were indignant about the falsehood described above. There were also more, that actually bought the unit and had been using it with no issue.

Is this a Mechatron? No. Does it cost $1500? No. Do your needs call for a $1500 spindle - just the spindle - or can you - like me - get by with the better of the cheap Chinese spindles?

All this being said, if anyone is interested, just reply or PM me. Thanks!!

2 Likes

Hey Ziggy,

I followed the link you provided (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LG233LM) and there they say 20 A spindle current rating. Is this link correct for your spindle? On the image it reads “GDZ-80-2.2c” instead of “GDZ-80-2.2A”. So if the spindle is rated 20 A then it matches the VFD which according to nameplate delivers 20 A output current – and the spindle datasheet I’ve seen here maybe just contains wrong information when it says 8 A for the 110 V version spindle. It’s on the last page and it says 8 A for the 220 V and for the 110 V both, which does not sound logical. Probably 20 A is the correct rating, it’s just that it unfortunately is missing on motor nameplate.

As you know, I always recommend avoiding 110 V VFDs/spindles and purchasing 220 V class VFDs/spindles for single-phase feeds, because that’s the only way to get by with a 30 amp fuse and AWG10 input cable.

But to be clear, if for some reason someone can’t or don’t want to hire an electrician to install a 240 V circuit and a NEMA 6 or a NEMA 14 outlet, feel free to buy Ziggy’s 110 V offering here. Just be aware that with a single-phase 120 V supply and 2.2 kW mechanical motor output power which means about maximum 4.5 kVA input power, the maximum current draw would be over 38 A, and that you either use the spindle in such a way that the usual 30 A fuse doesn’t blow (I know that’s what usually the 110 V 2.2 kW VFD/spindle buyers simply do), or better you limit the spindle current in the VFD. The maximum motor current must be set in the VFD anyway.

1 Like

I have a NEMA 14-50 50 amp outlet for my car. Would that be suitable for a VFD?

Hey Auntjemimma,

NEMA 14 is an outlet that offers both 120 V and 240 V. Generally if we are talking of running spindles that deliver 2.2 kW mechanical power at their shaft and are driven by a VFD that is supplied by one single-phase input, you can assume the maximum power such a VFD can draw is about 2 x – 2.5 x the mechanical output power, as rule of thumb, which would mean about 4.5 kVA – 5.5 kVA¹.

Now how much current (in Ampères) the VFD is rated to draw depends on what voltage the VFD is made for. So for the same power, a higher voltage means a smaller current. A VFD rated for a 2.2 kW motor, with 240 V a 30 A circuit and fuse is enough, but with 120 V you need more than 30 A. For this reason the VFDs/motors offered by industrial manufacturers like Omron or Hitachi for 100 V class are usually of smaller power, while the bigger models like 2.2 kW and upwards are offered for 200 V class only (or for 400 V for Europe).

Note that these values are maximum currents. It may be that hobbyists who make signs and flags never use their spindle in a way that they draw such currents. What you comply to here, is safety regulations which tell you to never connect a device to an electrical circuit that is not appropriate.

1. The exact formula for the motor power can be found here, what you still have to add then, is the efficiency of the VFD itself).

I talked to my electrician and I have a 220(240v) 50amp plug.

Hey Aiph5u

You are correct in that it is very confusing. That is the problem I was having. I finally received a reply from HY and they confirmed it is a 20A spindle.

Like I said, their documentation leaves a lot to be desired.

When I was just testing, the amperage never made it over 2A if I remember correct. But… that was without a load.

If a person wanted to used this and not push it too hard a single 20A circuit would probably be fine. However, if they also wanted to run a shop vac I would suggest going to another circuit.

1 Like

Hey Auntjemimma,

if you have not yet bought a VFD and a spindle but are thinking of it, and want to use a 2.2 kW spindle, with 200 V class devices, a 30 A circuit/fuse is enough, but if you buy it as 100 V class devices, a 30 A circuit/fuse is not enough.

240 V 30 A are usually available in the US on NEMA 6-30 connectors (and of course on NEMA 14 too).

2 Likes

Two Moose Design Video

Here is a video of the basic setup that I am selling. He tells the good and the bad.

Many people run this setup on a normal 20A circuit with no problem.

From what I understand, you will reach the limitations of the CNC before you start bogging down the spindle. I don’t know this first-hand, but this is what I read. So YMMV.

1 Like

Looks like based on the picture you posted, this spindle wants 3 phase 110v at 50hz for input power? Will this work on American 60hz power?

I am very sorry for the late response. I haven’t logged in for a while.

The VFD runs the spindle and it does provide 3 phase power to the spindle. But the thing to remember is that these types of VFD (Variable Frequency Drive) run off of your residential power. Typically in the USA it will be 120/240 split phase.

I have a VFD/Spindle combo for sale that runs off of 120V if you are still interested.