Info on the Breakout Board Accessory (non-elite machines only)

The breakout board accessory is not compatible or needed on Elite machines using the Masso controller. It is only compatible for non-elite machines using the buildbotics controller.

Info on the breakout board accessory: The breakout board is NOT included with the machine. If we included the breakout board with every machine, the cost would go up for everyone (granted it would be smaller, but more is more). The way the controller is now, we figure most customers would never need or use the breakout board (but they would get charged for it). By making the breakout board a optional item, the only customers that would pay for it are those that actually would use it. Again, if you purchase our probe and/or laser, they will plug directly into the controller without the need for the breakout board (we tried to make it as plug and play as possible, eliminating the need for soldering). If you have your own and want to save money by not purchasing the breakout board, you can purchase the connector for the wire ends and attach them yourself (here’s a link to them : (the connector https://www.digikey.ca/short/z41jmj ) (the pin https://www.digikey.ca/short/z41j9w) ). They are $.16 cents and $.27 cents. We’ve tried to give the customers many options. One thing we did NOT do is make anything proprietary, by locking customers out of using their own accessories.

You can purchase the breakout board HERE.

For those that use a VFD/Spindle you will need to purchase the breakout board. There’s no connector on the controller for it. These are much more complicated and there was no way around it.

f704eb_b7b13a7ecbf94604a8a6032359fda99b_mv2

Wiring Schematic:

10 Likes

Aside from the VFD, what else is the breakout board used for?

-Tom

I’m hoping to be able to use it to tie into a tool head on/off. This worked on my old CNC and was nice to have the router turn on and off automatically. Then you hook it to something like this.

1 Like

Looking at the breakout board FAQ (What Does The Breakout Board Do?) and hoping to setup a second relay to turn on\off a second monitor\RPi for showing the controller page with model\carve preview. My understanding is I can connect the vcc to the 3.3v (pin 6) and gnd (pin 7) but then what do I use for signal? Do I use Load-1 (Pin 1) or Load-2 (Pin 2)? If so what do I configure in the controller under IO | Outputs for that?
Am I on the right track or is there a better option? A time delay would also be fantastic so that the controller would boot first but, baby steps… well maybe ogre steps… not real graceful in these new electronic spaces.

Ok, so tell me … I have a Spindle/VFD sitting on the bench awaiting its Onefinity. Do I still need Onefinities breakout board or is there a card in the controller??

You’ll need a BreakoutBoard.

Figures, since I didn’t already order one … I need one!

You can find them elsewhere as they are a stock design.

You should be able to get one from Amazon or Ebay for less than $10.

Does anyone know where I can find more detailed technical documentation on the breakout board? Specifically, I’d like to get more details on each pin. Are they all output pins, or are these some input pins (other than maybe EStop)? For example, if I wanted to connect my own EStop button, do I just pull that pin down to GND? Documentation such as that is what I’m looking for.

1 Like

Thanks TMToronto. I saw that thread as well, but did not see the detailed technical documentation in there. Can you be more specific about where it is in that thread?

Would this help?

Yes, thank you! That’s more in-line with what I’m looking for.

1 Like

I’m glad the pricey breakout board is not included. I just needed 1 signal and GND to control the relay to turn the router off and on, and a DB-25 connector plus hood was less than $2 from Digikey. Anyone with crimping or soldering capability doesn’t need the breakout board.

Newby here…I have been looking on this site for a hours+… Does this breakout board work with the Elite Forman (Masso controller)? Or do I need to adjust RPM at the VFD?

I have a Masso G3 controller not the Touch, but it is basically the same hardware/software. The controller will control the spindle RPM through your Gcode, but it also has a an override slider on the screen that can adjust RPM while machining. I believe the BOB is meant for the original controller, when the functionality it offers is wanted by the user.

Hey Greg,

the breakout board adapter is nothing than a 25-pin D-Sub to screw terminal adapter. It can be used on any device that has a 25-pin D-Sub port. Such adapters are a standard electronics part and are available everywhere.

On the :point_right: Onefinity Original Series Controller, it allows you to attach devices like optocouplers, relays or sensors in order to be able to e.g.

• automatically control router on/off with M3/M5
  • automatically control dust collector on/off with M3/M5
  • automatically control workpiece coolant pump on/off with M7/M8
  • to have a serial communication with a VFD/spinde that is ModBus-compatible
  • to have analog speed control of a PWM spindle
  • to retrofit inductive proximity sensors as limit switches to the machine to no longer have to use stall homing

Here you find the pin assignment of the 25-pin I/O port on the :point_right: Onefinity/Buildbotics controller.

2 Likes

I thought the PWNCNC Spindle was plug and play for the Elite series with the Masso Controller. Is this not so? I need the breakout board?

Dale,
It is. The breakout board is ONLY for non-elite machines using the buildbotics controller.

This forum thread does not apply to elite machines.

1 Like