Journeyman Table on Kreg Bench: Plywood Vs Torsion Box?

Hi there

I have a Kreg Bench coming tomorrow, my Onefinity came yesterday. I’m debating a torsion box vs just a sheet of plywood on top (with some stringer 2x4’s spanning the inside of the Kreg Bench).

Any thoughts on one vs the other? I’d really rather not commit to the labor of the torsion box if it’s not needed, but I certainly want a stable base for the 1F.

I purchased the Kreg table as well. I built my tabletop using 2x4 stringers as you mentioned I notched them, so they are flush with the Kreg U channel and the used 2 sheets of 3/4 MDF. I’ve been running my Journeyman on it since late September with no issues I can see. My waste board also 3/4 MDF with t- tracks and threaded inserts mount to my top so effectively 3 - 3/4" sheets of MDF. Put it on the Kreg casters and its very solid and moveable. Personally, I wouldn’t change anything. It has always trammed easily and holds the tram when I resurface my waste board. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

cool thanks!

So your top is 2 layers of 3/4" MDF? How did you attach them to each other?

I am in the camp that you want the most advantage you can give yourself in terms of a table. Key is to assure that he Y rails are coplanar. That said, a torsion box or similar structure is what I would personally use.

Food for thought, here’s a torsion box build for a Onefinity on a Kreg table. Torsion Box Assembly on a Kreg Base - YouTube

I just used a few 1.25 " spax screws around the perimeter and when I mount my spoil board, I use 1.5" Spax screws recessed 3/8" into the spoil board so it catches all three pieces of mdf. Like I said this is the wat I’ve done it may not be the best, but I have had no Coplanar issues.

1 Like

Here’s another option for a bench some might want to consider.

The plans are configurable to your need, so don’t be put off by the size you see built in the video.

1 Like

My 2 cents, anything using dimensional lumber is not going to stay flat enough with changes in humidity for a CNC table. I’d suggest using 2 layers of 3/4" plywood ripped to 3.5" laminated together in place of a 2x4 for long term stability otherwise you’ll be chasing an out of flat base every time the humidity levels change. You could also look into a laminated ‘stud’ type offering from a lumber yard, they are very dimensionally stable but a bit more costly than dimensional lumber.

I’m personally using a 8" deep torsion box and it’s remained stable and flat over over a year.

5 Likes

FWIW, I have had mine on 3/4 ply and 3/4 MDF glued together and sealed with Poly for nearly a year with no issues to date (in Texas). Toyed with doing a torsion box and also with runners (Similar to what Keith did), but just decided to get the QCW instead for future proofing, but like i said no issues with bowing or sagging even without the spanners over this time. Sits in my non-climate controlled garage…

1 Like

My issue is that I’m in a temporary space with a not super large elevator. I’d love to not build too many more gigantic immobile things knowing that I’ll have to move them in a year. Two sheets of MDF screwed together for the bed kinda works.

I have the Kreg 44x64 bench with a sheet of 3/4 ply on top. I was going to build a torsion box but once I sat the QCW frame up on the table I saw that the feet of the QCW frame are almost directly over the legs at all four corners. So weight is transferred directly down to the concrete floor. The only wood in the support structure of my Journeyman is that 3/4" of ply. Everything else is steel or aluminum and concrete so I don’t think it is going anywhere. I’m adding a lower shelf to the Kreg bench on which I plan to add some ballast, at least 100 pounds. I also plan to enclose the sides with some 1/2" plywood (or may go with diagonal bracing) to add rigidity to the bench frame. But it doesn’t feel like it needs it. The bench is very rigid now. I did not put wheels on the legs which I believe helps with the rigidity. At this point I don’t see the table moving anywhere and have no plans to do anything more than described above.

2 Likes

That’s helpful. I won’t be buying the QCW I don’t think. But I assume the Woodworker’s footprint is similar?

I used 2x4 ‘s for a torsion box and sorry to say that it started out ok and then about 3 months later one of the 2x4’s decided to twist. I used a sawz all to cut it in the middle and it will wait till lumber drops in price to replace 2x4 s with 3/4” plywood