Onefinity Elite Masso Motor Specs

Wiring diagram

Dip Switches:
All dip switches should be up/on. DO NOT CHANGE THESE SWITCHES.

Ensure all dip switches are in the ‘up’ position as indicated by the blue rectangle and white numbered switches at the bottom of this photo:

(V1 motor)
(V2 motor) (with required resistor)

switch 123 and 4 are resolution settings. We have ours set up for 400 pulses/rev.

Switch 5 is the rising or falling of the clock edge of the step signal.

Switch 6 is motor direction.

MASSO 36V
Closed-Loop Stepper Motor Specifications
Frame size: NEMA #23
Shaft: 8mm (.315")
Input Voltage: 36V DC
Output Current: 4.5A 20 KHz PWM
Pulses/Revolution: 800
Maximum Torque: 1.2 Nm (Newton meters)
12.236 kg/cm (kilogram centimeter)
169.934 oz/in (ounce inch)
10.62 in/lb (inch pound)

Torque Information
Stepper motors provide high torque at low RPM but as
the RPM increases the available torque reduces. The
below graph can be used for machine feed rate and torque
calculations.

Status LED & Alarms
The motors provide two visual indications of motor status.
A Green LED indicates that the motor is powered.
A Red LED indicates that the motor is in an alarm state.

Alarms can be caused by any of the below reasons:
• The enable signal of 5v to 24v is not received by the
motor.
• The motor received STEP signals that have acceleration
or top RPM higher than the motor can support. This
will also be affected by how much load is on the motor.
• The power applied to the motor is less or more than
the motor’s specifications.
• The current required to work under load is not enough.
• The motor is not able to complete requested rotation
due to external mechanical issues such as the machine
axis hitting something or getting stuck.

2 Likes

Blockquote
Maximum Torque: 1.2 Nm (Newton meters)

@OnefinityCNC
It says 1.2nm, but the masso website has 2&3 nm listed with no 1.2 option.

Are these mostly plug and play replacements, and why not opt for one of the stronger motors instead of making them make a weaker one?

@Onefinity, is the factory power supply capable putting out 3.5 or 4 amp on one channel? Just thinking at some point I may want to look at a larger motor on Z with extra weight of the spindle.

That’s the basis of my question. Higher torque = faster travel in the short term.
Idk how many RPM it takes to travel X distance, but having more torque isn’t a bad thing.

Thank you for rearticulating my question. I’m still curious why they went weaker than what masso offers on their site. Buy once cry once.

I don’t see it in the documentation but I’d suspect it’s 16mm travel per revolution of the ball screw at 800 steps per revolution that’s .02mm resolution. In the documentation there are 3 amp fuses on each stepper motor power output (5 of them) so at a minimum you would need to attend to that. I would guess it’s a 360-400w power supply so about 10A of total available current for steppers and controller. Other than potentially voiding the warranty there’s nothing preventing you from using an additional power supply for upgraded stepper motors. The power supply output may also be a factor in the stepper motor size selection. The 1.2Nm stepper motor with at 16mm pitch ball screw will provide 50+ lbs of linear force more than enough to snap bits, if the commanded movement isn’t executed completely, the stepper will correct the movement.

Interesting to see in the documentation, there are 5 power outputs for stepper motors but there are 4 connectors on the back of the controller, with the 5th one on the G3 not connected.

I saw Onefinity reference the rapids (pre delivery) of the Elites at about 560IPM. A Masso forum member described his machine at running at a max of 600IPM @ 20KHz pulse rate (well below Masso’s 110 KHz max) @ a 0.0123 mm/step resolution. My calculations has this also in the mid range RPM of a typical stepper.

On a side note, I originally thought Onefinity made a typo with the motors, but then I remembered that the USA Sherline mills that are fitted out with a Masso Touch, have Masso closed loop steppers that have the same specs as the Onefinity 1.2Nm variant. I agree with @WaywardWoodworker that these are probably spec’d well for the typical user, using the CNC within its (and tools) limits.

There is a FB Elite owner who is planning a video overview of the Elite, and is asking users to send in questions that he will answer in the video. I asked hime if he would open the electronics enclosure and share the PSU inside and other components - not sure if he can or is allowed wrt warranty etc…

1 Like

Seems as if they are at least halfway thinking of a rotary… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Old thread but I can confirm it’s a 350w PSU at 36v. There’s a small board that has all the motor connectors and a couple of relays to fire the vac and router as well as a wire from the TTL ES on Masso presumably to kill the router if ES is used. Also would appear this board has a voltage regulator on board to supply Masso with 24v.

I wouldn’t necessarily count on this PSU having enough power to run the 2 or 3nm motors. I would estimate a 600w PSU would be more appropriate if running the 3nm Masso motors. 4ax4motorsx36v=576w. Now in reality are you ever likely to have all 4 motors pulling maximum amperage at the same time. No, at best maybe you could get 3 pulling somewhere near the full draw. Question is would the 1F be stiff enough for this type of abuse?

IMO there are likely benefits to going with larger steppers on these machines. Look at the torque curves for all of them - it might be nice to hit a sweet spot (sweeter spot) in terms of RPM/Torque.

Also, the steppers will take anything from 24-36v and it’s easy enough to replace the PS - it’s just a Meanwell (LRS-350-36) and they make many more models. Example 1500W 24-27v

I’ve noted something about the PS unit, which I’m posting in another thread.

I am curious as to why the consideration to go bigger, more power or more speed, 1F did a demo going up to 1200 IPM I think cutting with 1/4" end mill in plywood and nothing slowed it down, i was very nervous to see the small motors my self but after running for a few months now I have no issue with them.
IMHO Pat

1 Like

My consideration is mainly for X and Z. I’ve got an 80mm spindle which has added considerable weight to what this motors need to accomplish.

In the case of Z speed isn’t likely as much of a factor but the larger motors should have a stronger magnetic force when powered off and may help stop the spindle from coming down on power off or estop.

For the Y axis I’m not sure that it would be necessary. Don’t get me wrong I’ve not been able to stall the machine yet but have just recently added the bigger spindle. Even though they are closed loop steppers eventually they hit a point where the machine will just stop and throw up an alarm.

I’d be interested to see if there’s a difference in torque curve between 24v and 36v. I think most motors will have reduced output at lower voltage.

As for the PSU you would need to be careful on physical size if you want to still use the 1F enclosure. There’s not much room in terms of height in there to add something bigger. Not to say you can’t use a separate enclosure and sort your own connectors/wiring.

Hey Mike, hey all,

with the change to a much steeper ball screw on Z-20 “Heavy Duty” assembly compared to Original Z-16 assembly (now 10 mm / revolution vs. 4 mm / revolution before) the force needed to turn the screw and to move weight attached to it has severely changed too. As I already suggested in the other thread, rather than exchanging the motor by one with more torque, I would exchange the ball screw with a less steep one. The flatter the angle of the thread a screw, the less force you need to turn it. And the more the amount of pure magnetic detent of a powered-off stepper motor can hold a weight attached to the Z assembly against gravity when the electromagnetic detent (holding current) is gone. I doubt the magnetic detent of a stronger motor will change that much on the issue of spindle coming down with gravity when stepper power is cut, compared to the ball screw angle.

Anyway if exchanging the Z stepper motor, I would take one with brake and the problem with spindle coming down when stepper is powered off is solved too.

I also have the 80 MM spindle an have not had the issue of the Z dropping at power off, I have seen many theories as to why some do and some don’t from tightening the screw wiper to what I think it is, the nut on the end of the screw, (1F says to tighten until washer is tight, pretty subjective on how much).
Anyway my 2 cents worth.
Pat

1 Like

Tightening the wiper has minimized how many times it happens, but it made it happen much faster

As far as holding Z, the cheapest solution is going to be to use a counter-balance to make the assembly closer to neutral, so that there’s not a significant downward force applied to the carriage (because of all the mass it’s carrying).

Spring (super simple but not ideal), gas struts, pulley and a literal counter-balance (weight, etc.), coiled spring device like motor starter or purpose-made tool holder, etc… It’ll should only take a very few pounds of force, you don’t have to offset the entire mass of the spindle.