Onefinity with windows xp/vista/7/8

You were able to directly see the screen with a monitor hooked up to the onefinity controller right? If so you should be able to see the IP address it is using. In the 1.09 software it is right near the top of the main screen. Try pinging that from your laptop. That avoids the zeroconf use of onefinity.local. If that ping works, give that IP address as the URL instead.

1 Like

I would try a different browser such as firefox and definitely use the IP address of the controller, it should be visible on the LCD touchscreen.

1 Like

Hey Atroz, hey Giancarlo @Tuvix72, hey Fred11, hey all,

but if you mean a 169.254.x.x address, this is a zeroconf address, a link-local address. And the link-local network ‘169.254.0.0’ is shown successfully with ‘netstat -r’ on the original poster’s computer, as he showed above, which means, the computer is ready to find computers that support link-local addresses (like the Onefinity Controller).

The addressing with the host name “onefinity.local” uses Name Service Discovery, this is done by LLMNR under Windows, but this function is present in all Windows releases since Windows Vista, so of course should be present on Windows 8.

1 Like

Hi Atroz
I haven’t ip adresse

Hi Tuvix72
I already tried with firefox the result is the same with chrome : nothing

That’s what I meant with the explanations above. Your Windows computer is able to make the connection, but something else does not work.

Do you have Onefinity Controller and Windows computer connected directly with a CAT5 or higher cable?

1 Like

Hi Aiph5u.
Yes the controler , the cable cat 5e and my pc

Did you turn off WiFi on the Controller?

Yes Aiph5u it is disabled

Hey Fred11,

if you

• first unplug the CAT5 Ethernet cable, then
  • on the monitor directly connected to the Onefinity Controller and the keyboard, you type <ctrl>-t and then <ctrl>-c (which opens a CLI), and then you type:
sudo -i
tail -f /var/log/messages

(this should show the syslog)

• and now you plug the Ethernet cable back in, what new messages appear on the syslog?
1 Like

I’m going to go try.
When I plug the ethernet cable in the controler the pc pc should be connect or no?

Hey Fred11,

the pc connected of course. A zeroconf connection is only established then two computers are connected.

I have that

How can exit proprely to the CLI?

Hey Fred11,

I have to say that I extremely rarely use windows computers.

But I just tried to simulate your situation here. I found a notebook with a windoze on it. After I edited its Gigabit Ethernet Connection to have its address fetched automatically and unter “Alternative configuration” set to auto too, with “netstat -r”, it successfully showed up the link-local network (169.254.x.x) (as it does on your computer).

But just as with your windows pc, the name resolving of “onefinity.local” does not work.

On my (linux) desktop computers, connecting the Onefinity Controller this way with a link-local address always worked fine, including addressing by its “onefinity.local” name.

However then I managed to get a connection: I connected the Onefinity Controller to my (linux) desktop pc over a link-local connection too, what of course led to the Onefinity Controller to get and show an IP address. Then I switched back the Ethernet cable to the Windoze notebook and entered this ip address of the Onefinity Controller there, and now ping and web browser on the Windoze notebook had access now, with the Onefinity User Interface showing up :person_tipping_hand:.

So what does not work on the windows notebook, is the Name Service Discovery for some reason (in order to be able to enter “onefinity.local” instead of an IP address).

But as I said, I extremely rarely do something with Windows. Usually I just run it in a virtual machine when a photo scanner or something has only Windows drivers. Maybe some Windows user can help.

1 Like

Hey Fred11,

Your screenshot shows that there successfully is an Ethernet adapter recognized at the end of the cable.

What is shown when you enter “ipconfig” on the windows pc?

What is shown when you enter “ifconfig” on the Onefinity Controller?

type “exit”

I don’t know what could help you, but what comes into my mind are things like you could install nmap and run it with nmap -p 22 169.254.0.0/16 which would finally somewhen show up the open ssh port of Onefinity Controller (if the Controller is there), or that now you know why the Buildbotics Controller has a little display on its case that shows its IP address :slight_smile:

– Source: Buildbotics Manual

Note: The Onefinity Controller is a software and hardware fork of Buildbotics Open-Source CNC Controller.

In ipconfig I have that

In ifconfig i have that

I will test nmap friday, my holidays are over tonight.

Once again thank you for your help and the time spent

1 Like

Hey Fred11,

no cause, the invoice should be send with VAT shown? :slight_smile:

1 Like

There you have the IP address: 169.254.76.123. Type that into the web browser on the windows pc (or ping 169.254.76.123 on cmd.exe).

Problem remains that you need the monitor on the Onefinity Controller to get to know this address (as long as Name Service Discovery for addressing with “onefinity.local” does not work on the windows pc)

These are self-assigned IP addresses that occur when the device fails to receive an IP from the network (DHCP). Are the devices connected to an active network or directly connected to eachother with a network cable?

1 Like

Hey Giancarlo,

Precisely.

Directly to each other (answered above)

1 Like

I have two questions:

• between the two controller, onefinty and buildbotics controllers is it only the screen that has disappeared? I have one at home
  • if I install a linux virtual machine could it work?