Post up them projects

Piedmont Plastics. There are several locations

@DaddyDan , I actually made the vectors myself in Vcarve from a drawing I found.

-Kyle

1 Like

Made a box for my shoe shoe stuff. A pretty big upgrade from the cardboard box🤣

Did I need to use my Onefinity? No. Sure the drawer cutouts were candidates, but using a 90°v bit to miter the sides was a bit over kill and much slower than the table saw. Still. What’s the point of having a pet robot that cuts wood if you don’t play with it?

Resawn 4/4 Cherry to do four corner grain match and a couple coats of shellac.

14 Likes

Looks great.

I have the same personal reconcilliation challenge, many things can be built by hand that can machined by a cnc and visa versa

I square it away by thinking that comparingthe CNC to a table saw is not too dissimilar to comparing the table saw to hand tools. Also that a large part of the effort is the design and toolpaths which is a skill not many have. The next big effort is the finishing. if you happen to make the design parametrically you have the ability to cut many variants of the drawers…

8 Likes

25" x 25" x 1.5" Michigan Rummy Board with inlaid hearts-clubs etc, and ‘V’ carve writing

8 Likes

D & D Master Screen that I made for my little brother.
Spalted Kentuky Yellow Pine wood.
Sides are 15" x 17" high, front is 30" x 17"
52" x 17" with sides extended (piano hinges on back so it can fold flat)
Tinted wood stain (sweated as it got applied, the grain likes to suck it up where it doesn’t belong)
Tung oil on front and sides.
Putting dry-erase paper (clear) on the backside

15 Likes

Sweet work Todd. Did you make those models? Your brother is going to be the Dungeon Master Master. :grinning:

2 Likes

I wish I knew how 3D models were made, would love to make them myself. Purchased STL files on 3D4All site, scaled them, and set them in bowl that was in Vetrix clip-art. Don’t know why he wanted the Indian Chief but hey, it’s his board.
Font for raised type ‘Dungeon Master’ was found on dafont.com, it’s called ‘Heartless’
it’s a good site, hundreds of fonts, and a lot of their fonts are free
My brother has a 16 year old son he is trying to raise by himself, can’t work because of congestive heart failure, and so he’s pretty house bound, D & D lets him spend time with his boy. His son and he play this once a week or every other with friends that come over or his son drives him to their house. I guess they switch off being Dungeon Master depending on who’s house they are at
I’d never heard of D & D till about a year ago (i must have been living under a mushroom I guess)
He’s shown pictures to his D & D circle and they are all pretty excited to see it. They’ve been using cardboard as a screen.
Getting the dry-erase clear film on Monday and hope to have it to him by Wednesday because this Sunday is a D & D day.

4 Likes

I played DND back in the day and still have my Dungeon Master’s Guide. I would have loved to have that screen. Good on you for supporting them and nice work.

2 Likes

Mark Lyndsey does a couple very detailed videos too. IDC woodcraft does one a swell. Took me a little bit to get it down Good Luck.

3 Likes

So we had five feet of snow recently. After shoveling I would come in the house and empty my pockets on the kitchen counter, some screws, a broken bit maybe, coins, you know the deal. My wife didn’t appreciate the mess and commented. I thought, I should take some wood out of the scrap box, true and glue it and address her concern. (my apologies if the script offends anyone, I’m just trying to be an acknowledging husband that stays on point) The other project, unfinished, not sure what it is. I started with four thru dovetail sides and went from there. Ziggy influenced the kerfs on the bandsaw. Maybe I will add a convex box below with a wider and deeper drawer…who knows…

18 Likes

Beautiful work Todd! I really like the coloring, gives it a real D&D feel.
I think making games for friends and family is one of the best ways to share our art.
I have it on my list to make some Magic MTD card boxes and some chess sets.

2 Likes

Lazy weekend. Maple, bubinga and purple heart.

10 Likes

Game of Thrones inspired box. Made from Purple Heart.

12 Likes

Very cool box! Love the Purple Heart!!
-Alex

A family member wanted a simple wood box to store a pistol instead of the cheap plastic box and eggshell foam they come in.
An off the shelf piece of Menards oak and about 45 minutes in the machine turned into this. Plain butcher’s wax for the finish.

14 Likes

Fantastic gift idea, thanks for posting!

1 Like

this can be done using VCarve in the modeling tab and using layers.

2 Likes

A friend is refurbishing a yard sale find dresser that is in rough shape. He asked if I would be able to make replacement “flourishes” for the broken parts.
VCarve has an add-on pack which I’ll likely purchase, but I wanted a test first. I found a simple example online.
Scrap wood right out of the machine with no finish work. Not too shabby…

12 Likes

Hello, newbie here, second project on my Woodworker, first one was a learning experience. Happy Easter everyone

21 Likes