Spoil board system

Yeah , I run in threads with a drill, and im sure they arent perfect, but there is probably 1/16 play around each hole, so there is in wood working terms a fair bit of forgiveness.

Could always just cut 1 slab and try it… mdf is cheap :slight_smile:

Yes, but that defeats all the fun and impracticality of trying to design everything before the machine even arrives! :grin:

1 Like

my bad :slight_smile:

Ryan, are you going to resize the the holes for the bench dogs?

yes… weeks are tough tho. kids activities, date nights, all that good stuff.
Ill resize them to be spot on nuts 3/4". . Ill leave the current setup available, and just add this new size.

Ryan - First, excellent design. I was considering a combo that that when I made mine and now I’m regretting it. I really like the corner “thing”. I did the same but using a framing square (in a pinch). Time to upgrade! BTW - I’m pretty sure the Kreg holes are 20mm to match the Festool holes. That is likely why they are too large for 3/4" (but I could be wrong).

-Tom

1 Like

I plan to do a kreg/festool size tonight/tomorrow as an option. So ill measure em. i think they are spot on .75 last time i measured tho (i think)

1 Like

hole required for these are .76. worked well for me

yep thats what I used for kreg too… or festool

Ryan,

I never saw another post (might have missed it) as to if you ever got the time to do the updates to the file yet. I’ve been waiting to purchase until you confirmed that there was various different versions of holes in your download and the Etsy site does not really give any detail to what is exactly in the .zip file for $15

Let us know as I’m sure I’m not the only one who is in a holding pattern on my purchase.

-Alex

My apologies. ive been swamped with the day job…Ill post here when its done. I will do my best to get to it this weekend… Sorry for the delay.

1 Like

Thanks Alex for asking this, I am waiting for the same information.

Ryan, I know we have all been there, thanks for the status update.

I will be sure to check back.

Ok… Instructions have been updated (which come with the Download). provides a link to the updated 3 files (main, small, sac square) files with the proper doghole sizes.
everything else remains the same.

again, customer sat is my big thing, so if there is anything you need let me know.
It might be wise to make a test hole cut to make sure the dogs fit, but they are perfect for my kreg dogs.

I had a few minutes before kid shuttling begins, and im getting better at vcarve every day, so I just did a quick ungroup offset. All good. should be set.

1 Like

Just placed my order! Thanks for cranking this out Ryan. Now like you I just need to find the time to build it. :cowboy_hat_face:

-Alex

I have been considering my options for mounting my work. The system of t track,threaded inserts and dog holes. My ? About that is , can anyone speak to using t-nut or threaded inserts. The other is tape and CA glue,does anyone have any suggestions about this method,I’ve never done this.
Thank you all so much
Dave

I like threaded inserts because they dont move… Ive had bad luck in the past with T nuts. They just seem to come loose at the worst times… Its never all of them, but a few in the entire board can mess it up. I just have better luck with threaded inserts.

Tape and CA glue is ok, but ive gone to double sided tape for the times I want that method. Katz moses does a video on it, and I bought that stuff and it leaves no residue, comes off super clean. Just works.
But there are times I use all these methods. For instance right now (before I cut in my juice grooves) I have it clamped down with T track clamps because there is a little cupping in my cutting board. So Im clamping it tight for a couple days to hopefully fix it.
I use ooops clamps from 1F a lot too… low profile, work great. For cribbage boards and stuff that needs surfacing and cutting I use double sided tape AND cam clamps. Reason being is tape alone a lot of time holds ok, but can move enough to cause some chatter in the bits. With cam clamps + tape the movement is mitigated.
So in the end, I wanted all of the options available to me, so I made it.
Oh, and I use the 1/4 sac boards a LOT for through cuts. When you put forth the time and effort to make this spoil board (or any threaded insert one really) last thing you wanna do is repeat it when it gets cut up.

2 Likes

Ryan, thank you so much for such a complete response. I am amazed at all that I need to learn. I have been a woodworker for over 50 years and I am feeling that I am starting at zero. I just hate installing those darn threaded inserts. They can be a lot of frustration, soft brass stripping at the slot, them starting crooked and I am not looking forward to installing that many. Plus they are not free. But they do work well and when installed correctly they do hold up well. .
Thank you
Dave
Dave

Did you try this.

6 Likes

So I found if you lean in with some weight, with a drill (not an impact) it works well without splitting the mdf. If you just drill it or use the allen key its likely to split the mdf.
Lean on it with some weight… should be good.
The hole idea is YES it sucks putting them in… With this system, once you do it 1 time you are done, forever… if you use the sac boards.