That pesky monitor mount (solved)

@Bob_D

I have been able to rotate the display 180deg using the information listed on this post from @mb0978

Flip 10" display 180 degrees

One option I am considering to replace the bracket is this method from @mkngjoy

Rock Solid Monitor Mount

Not sure if the bracket will hold the 10" monitor due to the attached piece on the back of the monitor, but I’ll probably remove it with a dremel as I do not want to go back to the included mount that came with the woodworker. The extra zip tie brackets I have added to zip tie it to the bracket arm in case it does pop off of from the magnets.

-Chris

1 Like

I stuck a small screwdriver under the corner of the mount block and it popped off the prop arm pretty easily. It’s just glued on.

I bought this tablet dock and it seems to be pretty secure so far…

1 Like

Thanks Josh,

That looks like a good stand as well. I like the idea of attaching it to the table. Thanks for the link.

I see the stand part appears to be glued on as well on mine. I didn’t notice that before. Good to know so I don’t have to use the dremel.

-Chris

After trying out a few options, I ended up deciding on a tablet mount from iBolt in place of the included mount from Onefinity. Thanks @Storm27m for the suggestion.

This is the mount I decided on, it holds the 10" monitor without having to remove the attached magnetic bracket. It is very sturdy and is raised from the table to a comfortable eye level. I also added a usb extension since my controller is now mounted under the table. Here are a few links for more info on the mount and usb extension.

-Chris

4 Likes

Thanks, good post Chris.
Ordered both today.

This is what I came up with…

Gotta admit I had the same issue as John. Having the cables run out the right side makes no sense and lends itself to a very dicey setup. I decided to move the entire controller and monitor to the right and on the wall. That magnetic monitor mount will never see the light of day again.

I just removed the mag mount from my display. It came off easily, too easy to tell you the truth. Popped right off with very little persuasion from a putty knife.

I then used a tablet mount that grabs the display by the top and bottom. I believe it will be much more secure in this mount.

1 Like

How hard was it to switch everything over to the right side?did you move the box also?

I basically had to make new cables. It’s not really hard if you have the tools (which I do because I like to sleeve my cables for the PC). If you don’t, you’ll just have to get extension cables from Onefinity after which it would be straightforward. Yes, the entire controller box got mounted on the wall beside the Onefinity.

Does anyone have info on the new mount that is in Onefinity’s latest video? I haven’t been able to find it on their website.

Thanks for the Idea. Mine has held pretty well so farand the cabling itself is stapled to the wall so if it falls it wont got far, at least one will catch it. But this is a good idea and will be doing it myself

It’s a new mount we’ve been sending with new units for the past 3 months or so. Once we have more stock from our suppliers, we’ll put it up on the website.

3 Likes

The new screen mount: https://www.onefinitycnc.com/product-page/auto-adjust-display-mount

1 Like

Do you sell the displays independently? I don’t see them on the accessories page.

Only to users who need a replacement.

You can use a TV with HDMI plug along with a keyboard and mouse or there is a listing on the onefinity forum with suggested touchscreens if tou want that.

Oh I already purchased my own 15" touch screen, I was just curious.

Hey Auntjemimma, hey all,

here is that list of touch displays that work with the Onefinity Controller.

As the Onefinity Controller contains a Raspberry Pi, any HDMI (or DVI-D or DVI-I which is compatible to HDMI) computer monitor will do, and of course any USB input device like keyboards, mice, trackballs (I like trackballs on CNC controllers. Unlike mice they need no space on a surface and are also very practical when you are standing, since they also work when mounted on a vertical surface :slight_smile:) e.g. the Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring (usable for both right/left-handers)

The list of monitors above is for Touch Monitors, the touch device inside the monitor is an USB input device too and has to be connected independently of the display part of the monitor.

Don’t choose too small touch display

What I think about Touch screens is that on a CNC controller or a similar machine, one should always think of “how thick is my index finger?”, and choose a monitor size where the buttons of the virtual display keyboard and the buttons fo the Jog Pane are bigger than your finger tip. That would mean that the monitor to choose should be rather large. If it’s too small, you press wrong buttons too easily. For that reason, I never thought of buying the touch monitor Onefinity offered (it is for very, very small people and you should not have presbyopia (but people >45 usually have) :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I purchased a used Dell 2418HT 24" touchscreen. I got it on Ebay from a seller who was upgrading to a larger screen. Less than a year old. I paid $140 shipped. Do your research. I did and it paid off works great and at 69 I don’t have any trouble seeing it and touching the wrong spot on the monitor. Good luck!