VFD Spindle Kit

Perhaps not the right branded forum but I thought I’d share this for any who are thinking of buying a vfd and spindle.

4 Likes

I know that’s a lot more spendy than the average DIY spindle from various Chinese suppliers, but there’s something very confidence-inspiring in the fact that it’s basically plug & play from a good reputable company. I see it’s sold out…

1 Like

6 month warranty isn’t super reassuring? I’m taking a wild guess it’s made at the same factory as all the Chinese imports. The price point doesn’t seem doable for anything else.

1 Like

It’s nice to see more options from a good brand but it’s a shame for the ER11 collet.

Looking at that kit if you dig a little deeper I noticed a Carbide router that comes with a 150.00 price tag and a 12’ cord. My question is has anyone used one in place of the Mikita? It states that it’s 65mm and with a 12 ‘ cord could be good for drag chains…

PwnCNC is also selling a spindle kit… same as here, it appears to just be the same chinese kits as everywhere else, but at double the price.

I do agree that plug and play capability is reassuring but at the same time im not sure its so reassuring as to be worth twice the price tag.

Pwncnc does have a 1.5kw 110v spindle with an er20 collet though.

1 Like

80mm though.
Makita can sell an 8mm collet (and Katsu a 10mm) on the 65mm router, why can’t spindle manufacturers mount an ER16 or ER20 in 65mm package form?

Most likely it comes down to matching the output power and torque to the size of the bit that one should be using with that spindle, trying to run a 1/2" shank 3" diameter raised panel bit in an 800 watt spindle would likely stall the spindle with any appreciable depth of cut so it doesn’t make sense.

Conversely it seems a bit odd when I’m putting a 1/8" bit in an er 20 collet to drill holes but it works great.

It’s missing the point, some useful accessories require a larger collet.
For example, I mount the 3D taster on the Makita with the Katsu 10mm collet. I would not trust that collet with a bit but it’s handy for probing parts.

I’m speculating as to why a manufacturer of a 800w spindle wouldn’t make it so it can accept 1/2" shank bits simply a power limit… Conversely we could ask the question as to why the 3D-Sensor zero master doesn’t use a 6mm shank as it would be more universal :slight_smile:

One interesting thing to note in that video is that the Shapeoko Pro setup in it puts 2 separate drag chains… one for power and one for controls… that may also fix a lot of folks EMI issues as it separates out the wiring by a decent amount.

1 Like

It’s nice that Carbide put the VFD in a case that’ll protect it from dust. Maybe that’s why they went with a 1200w spindle, to keep the VFD from getting too hot.