Warning, Don't Buy from PwnCNC - (Addressed by PwnCNC)

OK, I just pulled the trigger and bought a 2.2kw, 220V, ER20, 80mm, Water-cooled spindle from PwnCNC due to the content of this 1F forum post; which is entitled “Warning, Don’t buy from PwnCNC.” I find that kind of funny and apt. Seeing Daniel’s interaction here and hearing experiences from some actual owners directly (instead of ‘reviews’ posted on a vendor’s website) is what drove my decision. Well, the 15% new year’s discount helped too. (The discount code is NEWYEAR and is good today and tomorrow. I missed the Black Friday offer.)

Now, to everyone’s relief, I’ll stop complaining about the wimpy Makita trim router not being able to handle any real production. Glad to have many fellow owners here. If we don’t have a specific “PwnCNC Spindle Owners” group or topic here, let’s put one together.

Regarding the “Pause” feature, I’m guessing that the easiest way for someone new to spindles to pause a job is the way I do it now. Which is by hitting pause on the X-50 web interface and just powering down the router/vacuum but leaving the controller on so that it’ll pick back up when I reconnect my computer. (I rarely use the on-board display because I love seeing the toolpath within the interface; it’s a great sanity check.). Yes?

3 Likes

Congrats on the decision. How long before you get it?

Hey Jim, hey all,

you can easily switch off the Makita hand trim router at any time, but not a running spindle on a VFD that is set to ModBus communication. In this mode the front panel keypad on the VFD is not functional. See spindle pause problem.

But now we know that the VFDs which offer a “manual override” to overcome this and with which it IS possible to pause the spindle in ModBus mode, are not only the Hitachi WJ200, the Hitachi S1 and the Omron MX2 VFDs, but also Daniel’s Delixi CDI-EM61 VFD (even if he needs more logical input terminals than you do with the Omron/Hitachi)

Independently of how Daniel will wire and program the updated VFD version, now you know that the Delixi VFD itself is able to provide a “pause” button because it has a manual override functionality, similarly to Hitachi/Omron VFDs.

I already had the thought to alter the title because it is unjust, but maybe just as it is, the title is one that everyone clicks on, and then after reading the thread, it acts more like an advertisement for Daniel (seems that this is the case, since we can see people buy :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I had the exact same thought regarding the thread title.

3 Likes

Yeah… I had to choose… 8 digital inputs or 4 w/compatibility for both PWM or Modbus. I chose to add the Modbus so I could support a wider number of machine/brands with the same VFD model.

2 Likes

Hey Daniel,

you could offer two variants: One for the Masso without ModBus but with its required control signals, and one for Buildbotics/Onefinity with ModBus and manual override pause button.

I have used the 2.2 air cooled version without any issues.

1 Like

/sarcasm font on. Thanks to the OP for the heads up. After reading all these posts it looks like I’ll be buying a spindle from PwnCNC as soon as the 1F announces the Masso upgrade for us non-Elite owners. Without him spouting off over nothing I never would have thought to look at them. So thanks a lot for making me spend another $1000 on my set up. /sarcasm font off

7 Likes

Thank you. It made it easier for me to go ahead and order my spindle kit from PWNCNC because of their response.

2 Likes

Me too! Ordered it this evening.

2 Likes

I also ordered a spindle kit from Daniel, mostly due to this topic.
‘Any publicity is good publicity’

1 Like

Alright! The community knowledge of this spindle kit is about to head northward and it sounds like the Elite series announcement has also brought Daniel some business. Although I used to think of myself as a fairly technically competent woodworker, the posts concerning building your own Spindle/VFD kit (or even installing the PwnCNC kit) has made me realize that I’m nothing of the sort. “ModBus” mode??

'Warning: Dangerous Learning Curve Ahead."

@Atroz The PwnCNC website says 4-10 weeks until shipping; quite a large variance. I’ll let Daniel get things sorted out a little and then bug him for a more precise ETA. I wonder if it will beat my Z20 order? In the meantime, I’m trying to be very gentle on the Makita because I’ll be damned if I’m going to buy a third one.

Does anyone else think it’s a little comical that all the cool graphics of the 1F Elite series shows this very awesome looking CNC that looks like it could eat through metal at 90ipm and then in the jaws of its burly Z20 sits that silly blue-green Makita trim router??

Hey Jim,

Sure, technically, it’s like a joke. As you already found out, as soon as you install your Makita hand trim router into this machine, the Makita has lost its warranty. But for Onefinity, it allows a low entry price for the target group.

1 Like

Hey Jim,

Sort of digital telegraphy.

When you switch to using a CNC machine as a woodworker, in fact in the first place this is more machinery and IT than woodworking. If you learned woodworking traditionally, it’s something new. In fact a CNC milling machine is a robot, and not only you got to learn how to program it but also you learn that you have a tool that is able to destroy the workpiece or even to destroy itself, if you make a mistake. This is a different approach than traditional woodworking where in the first place you got to look at where your fingers are. And the other thing you have to learn (I don’t know if you already did) is CAD/CAM. In ancient times a CNC milling machine was programmed by writing G-code natively. Nowadays the CAM program with the postprocessor does this for you, but as a woodworker, now you have to know how to create your model in a CAD program.

Further Reading

@Aiph5u
It certainly isn’t traditional woodworking. I have been a Photoshop hack for a long time and even did a little 3D modeling (in Maya) in the past. Can’t say I’m crazy about the Fusion 360 interface but I’m getting used to it. Too often I end up turning off ‘design history’ which ruins the parametric capabilities.

The CAM portion is the tough part, indeed. There have been so many times that I’ve pushed “Go” with the utmost confidence (and after making test cuts) only to watch the router dive headfirst into my lovely, hand-selected, one-of-a-kind figured stock. WTF!! I know the machine is only really doing exactly what I told it to do, but its just it should do what I want it to do instead.

Whenever I see the ‘Rapid Collision with Stock’ error during simulation, I say to the software “If you’re smart enough to know that it’s biting in too hard, why aren’t you smart enough to offer to adjust the IPM or Ramp Rate or Safe Clearance to take care of the situation?!?!”

Thanks for the links. I’ve got some homework to do while I’m waiting for the parts.

3 Likes

Just a heads up: PwnCNC has a 20% off sale going on. Code: YELLOWFRIDAY

For those of you who want to join us on this journey.

3 Likes

I am still going to buy a PWCNC… soon as I can buy an elite…without a 4mo wait

2 Likes

I bought an air cooled spindle and put it on my regular ‘ol Journeyman. Don’t regret it in the least. It may be months before 1F is caught up on the elite orders so that delivery times are better let alone announce an upgrade program. Plus, from what I’ve seen there have been a number of bugs with the new system, as there are with anything new. Why not enjoy your spindle while they work out everything else?

3 Likes

1 Like

I had to run some new power to my workshop anyway (was tripping breakers all the time) and the 220V spindle isn’t much more expensive at all. So, I added 220V for any potential tools down the road and maybe upgrading the EV car charger in the future. And figured the water-cooling isn’t that much harder and would eliminate any potential dust problems.

However, if one has enough 110V capacity, then getting a pre-integrated 110V, air-cooled spindle would be a very quick, easy way to go.

1 Like