Warning, Don't Buy from PwnCNC - (Addressed by PwnCNC)

I purchased the 2.2kw 220v ER20 80mm Round Water cooled version from him last fall. I’ve been absolutely happy with it and would do it again. I also am a hobbyist, thus the very good reason for “plug-n-play”.

I ordered the optional Kool connectors, which are worth it in my opinion. I also ordered the optional case for the VFD, which doesn’t appear to be optional now.

Shortly after I received it and before even installing it I saw on his Facebook page that he just released an option on his case to connect with an IoT outlet strip. There’s another discussion of this on the forum. He didn’t even advertise an upgrade option but he added one quickly when I asked about it. It did require me sending the VFD back to him and I paid for the upgrade along with some new cables. It also required 2 weeks time. I don’t see this option on his current website, maybe it’s just included now. But you want it.

Because of this late option add-on, I did have an issue getting it to work the first time. but he and someone else on his support ticketing system were quick to address it and get it up and running.

The DB25 connector was all correctly wired. I did have to buy a short piece of thermostat wire from the local hardware store to go between the IoT connector he provided and the IoT outlet. But that was easy.

I did order and use the Vevor Chiller, which is mentioned elsewhere on this forum. He did not require it, but I’m glad I did. It has a temperature readout and an internal fan that kicks on when the temp gets to about 21 degrees celsius.

A few things I like most about it:

• The Onefinity controller triggers it on and off when you start a toolpath. I do a lot of 3D carves and don’t always watch it so when it finishes now everything just shuts down.

• I like having multiple size collets now, didn’t expect that. Sometimes when pocketing thick wood you want to get more detailed using an 1/8" bit. Since the cutting portion is not that deep you really need a 1/8" shank. It’s easy to change collets.

• I don’t like to run long carves overnight. With this Spindle you can pause the OF controller, which leaves the spindle running. However, the PWN spindle case has a pause button on the front - the little, yellow P circle on the middle/bottom of the case. When I want to start it up again, I un-pause the Spindle first then unpause the OF controller.

• Think I mentioned I don’t always watch my carves… that gets me in trouble sometimes. Once, the finishing pass started in an area that had not been roughed and it went too deep. Another time, my bit was too short to get to the bottom of the tool-path. In both cases the OF controller stopped and also the spindle had an error code, This is what I wanted. Yes, I ruined the wood but after rebooting everything work fine.

This is my first time with a spindle. Up until a couple years ago I knew very little about CNC machines. The spindle manual which comes with it is thick. There are a ton of settings. I didn’t have to change any of them, it was all ready for me. Reading about others, getting a setting wrong or the interface wrong with the OF controller gives you an opportunity to fry your new VFD. I’m sure I paid a little more, but for me it was worth it!

P.S. The small rectangular control panel at the top, center of the VFD does come out so you can use it as a remote. It does require a regular network cable (RJ-45 connectors) to do this with, not supplied. Since the OF controller starts and stops it automatically, I’ve never really had a need to use this remotely.

2 Likes

Hey Craig,

In this post, I describe that Hitachi and Omron VFDs offer a “ModBus Override” option which is a solution for the problem that usually on a VFD, you either program it to have RUN/STOP and SPEED to be controlled manually on its front panel keys, OR by the CNC Controller via ModBus communication, which leads to the situation that when you press “pause” on the Onefinity CNC Controller to pause the g-code program execution and the VFD is set to “ModBus”, you cannot stop the spindle (since the Onefinity Controller does not take care of offering this). With the Hitachi and Omron’s “ModBus Override” function, which is a solution to the spindle to pause problem, and which is a function that is not available on cheap chinese VFDs, you can switch to a “forced operator” or “forced terminal” mode and control RUN/STOP and SPEED while you still have the VFD set to ModBus Control, which means, you can stop the spindle during a pause of your g-code program.

Now you report you can do this (RUN/STOP spindle manually despite VFD is set to Modbus) with Daniel’s @PwnCNC DELIXI EM61 VFD too? I just read through the DELIXI CDI-EM60 Series VFD manual twice but could not find a function that allows “ModBus override” like on the Hitachi or the Omron. Have I overlooked it?

That feature looks like it was removed. Maybe it can be put back if you don’t want the REV/FOR features he traded it for? Features - PwnCNC

Aiph5u,
I can’t answer that for you. It works as described only when pausing the OF. Manually stopping on the OF control panel or letting the tool-path finish does automatically stop the spindle and trigger the IoT event.
The pause button I use is a part of PwnCNC’s custom VFD cabinet and not on the VFD control panel itself. Daniel’s figured it out somehow?

1 Like

Interesting, I wonder what the “…Manual Override functionality…” is beyond the pause button? I hate missing out on new functionality… that’s probably a personal problem.

This also goes to show that Daniel is always improving these things. I’m guessing some of this had to do with the release of the new Elite series, which happened after my purchase.

Hey Atroz, hey all,

Ah I see:

The most notable change is the removal of our “Running Pause” button from the bottom center of the enclosure. The main limitation of our VFD is that it only has four digital inputs available. Two are taken up by our Manual Override functionality which has been overwhelmingly popular.

The fact that this “spindle pause” button used two of the logic input terminals suggests that it is in fact a function available on this VFD. I didn’t find it in the manual, but, to be sincere, this manual is not of those that are a pleasure to read :frowning:.

This leaves two digital inputs available which are now dedicated to the run FWD and run REV functionality utilized by several CNC controllers including the Masso.

That sounds logical since the Masso Controllers lack a ModBus interface :slight_smile: So this is now for the new Onefinity “Elite” Series CNCs that use the Masso G3 Touch Controller. Well if I used the Standard Series Onefinity Controller, I’d want this pause button back… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Craig,

besides being able to stop and run the spindle during a program pause, you can override the spindle’s rotational speed setting that was given by a “S” command in your g-code program. On the Omron and Hitachi VFDs.

1 Like

@Craig
Wow! Your reply was so thorough and informative, I can’t thank you enough. It is exactly what I needed and I think many others here also appreciate it.

Also good info on the “pause” feature. Like many, I also have need to occasionally pause a cut and in fact just returning to a run after an overnight break.

It’s buried in there, but with the functions available on the Delixi vfd’s, I’m able to wire up what i call a “manual override” switch. Flip the switch to manual and you’re running via VFD’s keypad and not Modbus. Flip it back to automatic and you’re back on Modbus control.

4 Likes

Hey Daniel,

then it’s practically the same as the “ModBus Override” on the Hitachi and Omron VFDs that I describe here – are you also able to alter the rpm speed then?

If you could tell me which option it is in the DELIXI manual, I’ll add this to my general knowledge base

1 Like

Yes… it’s possible to forgo the REV and keep the Manual Override… is that something folks would be interested in?
Clinton tells me the REV will basically NEVER be used… so it would make sense to shed it in order to keep the MO switch… thoughts?

1 Like

I’m building up our KB to include as much info as I can related to the Delixi vfd.

I’ll get it posted there and you can pull from that. The override switch is pretty basic… switches the “Freq Source” and “Run/Stop Source” between the VFD’s keypad and the “control input” regardless of Modbus or PWM. So it’s not as simple as Modbus says go 18000, flip switch, and turn dial… it sort of is… but flipping the switch will change the rpm’s to whatever the potentiometer is set to. You can guess where 18000 is on the turn dial, but it won’t “start where modbus left off” if that makes sense.

2 Likes

Hey Daniel,

running a motor in reverse would make sense if you were cutting threads (to come back out after cutting), but I doubt you would do that with a general purpose spindle. For that you need a motor with slip clutch and gear reduction or a servo motor.

Hey Daniel,

with the Hitachi/Omron, when you enter the override mode while the spindle runs, it first stops the spindle, so you use it after you pressed “pause” on the g-code program, and after the spindle reached the new speed set by keypad (force operator mode) or potentiometer (force terminal mode), you would press “resume” g-code program on CNC Controller.

I describe the exact settings inside VFD and the wiring in this post for the Hitachi/Omron VFDs. If you could point me to which parameter it is in the DELIXI EM61?

1 Like

Unfortunately it isn’t a single setting rather many along with a few of the digital inputs. It requires referencing a few tables in the manual. I will be publishing the full details but have to get it into an understandable format and fulfilling existing orders take priority.
If you want to dig into it, start with researching how P0.1.00 and P0.1.01 works. Those are the linchpin settings that enable the proper functionality.

2 Likes

Hey Daniel,

thanks for your hint, now I got it (how to program and to wire the manual overrides for FWD/STOP and SPEED on your Delixi). To select them, it works a little differently as on Hitachi/Omron, that’s why I did not find it on my first reading. I think I would be able to wire and program your “pause” button and a frequency override on the Delixi now. I also understand why you unfortunately need that much terminals for it and you have only 4 :frowning:. The Omron/Hitachi has 7 terminals and you need one for entering manual override and one for RUN/STOP spindle

OK, I just pulled the trigger and bought a 2.2kw, 220V, ER20, 80mm, Water-cooled spindle from PwnCNC due to the content of this 1F forum post; which is entitled “Warning, Don’t buy from PwnCNC.” I find that kind of funny and apt. Seeing Daniel’s interaction here and hearing experiences from some actual owners directly (instead of ‘reviews’ posted on a vendor’s website) is what drove my decision. Well, the 15% new year’s discount helped too. (The discount code is NEWYEAR and is good today and tomorrow. I missed the Black Friday offer.)

Now, to everyone’s relief, I’ll stop complaining about the wimpy Makita trim router not being able to handle any real production. Glad to have many fellow owners here. If we don’t have a specific “PwnCNC Spindle Owners” group or topic here, let’s put one together.

Regarding the “Pause” feature, I’m guessing that the easiest way for someone new to spindles to pause a job is the way I do it now. Which is by hitting pause on the X-50 web interface and just powering down the router/vacuum but leaving the controller on so that it’ll pick back up when I reconnect my computer. (I rarely use the on-board display because I love seeing the toolpath within the interface; it’s a great sanity check.). Yes?

3 Likes

Congrats on the decision. How long before you get it?

Hey Jim, hey all,

you can easily switch off the Makita hand trim router at any time, but not a running spindle on a VFD that is set to ModBus communication. In this mode the front panel keypad on the VFD is not functional. See spindle pause problem.

But now we know that the VFDs which offer a “manual override” to overcome this and with which it IS possible to pause the spindle in ModBus mode, are not only the Hitachi WJ200, the Hitachi S1 and the Omron MX2 VFDs, but also Daniel’s Delixi CDI-EM61 VFD (even if he needs more logical input terminals than you do with the Omron/Hitachi)

Independently of how Daniel will wire and program the updated VFD version, now you know that the Delixi VFD itself is able to provide a “pause” button because it has a manual override functionality, similarly to Hitachi/Omron VFDs.

I already had the thought to alter the title because it is unjust, but maybe just as it is, the title is one that everyone clicks on, and then after reading the thread, it acts more like an advertisement for Daniel (seems that this is the case, since we can see people buy :slight_smile: )

1 Like

I had the exact same thought regarding the thread title.

3 Likes