Which Inverter?

Hi All

I’ve been trying for months on and off to get my spindle speed control via my Huanyang and finally had a friend who’s an electronics engineer in a mchine tool company look at my set up and he thinks the Huanyang Inverter is at fault and suggested I get something else.

Question is which one would you suggest for a 220v 2.2kW spindle

Dave

Hey Dave,

for a 2.2 kW spindle and for 200-240 V single-phase input, I can recommend Hitachi VFD Model No. WJ200-022SF (Manual) or Omron MX2 VFD Model No. 3G3MX2-AB022-E (Manual) which are practically identical VFDs (a few forum members own the first (search for “WJ200”), I own the Omron). The Omron can deliver up to 580 Hz. Both have an excellent manual, both can do Sensorless Vector Control and ModBus override.

1 Like

Yes my thoughts as well, how much do these cost in Germany, I am over at the beginning of December so my pick one up whilst visiting.

Regards
Dave

what are the advantages of the Sensorless Vector Control and Modbus Override

Dave

Hey Dave,

I bought mine here, but not in the store, but via online shipping. I just notice that they are more expensive today. Buy the EMI filter with matching footprint and the matching braking resistor with it.

these are clickable links which explain it! :slight_smile:

Vector control enables a VFD to achieve extended speed and torque control compared to the more simple scalar voltage/frequency control. In practice, this means more torque at low speeds.

ModBus override means that when you pause your running g-code program on the Onefinity Controller, you can switch ModBus override on, alter the spindle speed on the fly to a value other than it was transmitted by the controller, and resume the program with the spindle running at the altered speed. ModBus override allows also to stop the spindle in case you want to pause your g-code program over night and resume the next day. Both things are not possible with cheap chinese VFDs, because with them when ModBus mode is enabled, manual controls are disabled.

Thanks for the great information

Could you advise the part numbers for the EMI filter and the remote control panel as I like the idea of being able to override the Modbus and guess you need access to the drive to do that.

Regards
Dave

Hey Dave,

in the link to the shop above, you can simply select to put the accessory items into the basket with the VFD. The shop’s part numbers for these items are then displayed.

As for the Omron part numbers,

• for the braking resistor they are on section 5-3-3 of the Omron MX2 User’s Manual
    (2.2 kW: AX-REM00K2070-IE for 3% braking duty and AX-REM00K4035-IE for 10% braking duty) and

• for the EMC filter the Omron part numbers are on section 5-2-4 of the same manual (2.2 kW: AX-FIM1024-RE for the filter from Rasmi AX-FIM1024-SE-V1 for the filter from Schaffner)

• The original Omron Remote Operator Panels for the MX2 series, 3G3AX-OP01 and 3G3AX-OP05, are much too expensive and difficult to find. I suggest simply wiring one switch for “ModBus Override”, a second switch for “Spindle Run/Stop”, and a potentiometer for “Spindle Speed” to the VFD’s intelligent inputs, as shown here.

Got to go to bed now! Good night!

1 Like

Made an enquiry to Omron Uk for an Inverter and ancillaries

Their response 52 week delivery !!!

Edited. Just realized my question was answered above.

FWIW I had the same problem earlier in the year but for Canada from a USA distribution centre. I instead purchased the Hitachi WJ200 equivalent - same VFD - and it was less expensive and shipped faster. Equally thorough (same) 400+ page manual.

2 Likes

Thanks Tom

That was great Advice, I got a little too focused on the Omron. I can get the Hitachi almost ex stock from a local supplier all be it its more expensive than the Euro price in GBP.

I understand the reason for the filter, but what does the resistor add ?

Regards
Dave

Hey Dave,

it allows to get the spindle faster to a standstill, or to reach a lower speed faster in case you want a speed change. Since an induction motor which runs without power acts as an induction generator, it produces power. With the braking resistor, this power is transformed into heat, which means it puts a load on the spindle which then decelerates faster. You don’t forcibly need an additional braking resistor as every VFD has a chopper circuit, but with one you can get the spindle stopped faster. Without braking, a good spindle may be running freely a longer time.

Further Reading

VFD #Dynamic Braking

1 Like

Below is a basic explanation. I purchased one to reduce the acceleration/deceleration times in my build to cut a little time in my ATC.

“The role of Dynamic Braking Resistors in VFD. Braking resistors in Variable Frequency Drive(VFD) increase the braking torque capability, producing faster and more controlled braking . The Braking resistor dissipates regenerated power to keep the bus voltage from exceeding the rated limit of the drive.”

2 Likes