Worth the Price? / Rotary Axis Setup

Hi Roger,
Wondering what these couple of lines that need changing will be, thank you sir

Here’s the original PP:
Onefinity Laser (MM).pp (4.9 KB)

Here’s the one that I edited:
Onefinity Laser ROTARY (MM) .pp (5.0 KB)

1 Like

TY Roger, kit arrived today will wire it up and give it a try tomorrow, Prayerfully… I might need a little help, hopefully not but…

2 Likes

awesome work Roger!!! At least now I know it can be done. Thanks for sharing. I want a little rotary for the laser so I’m thinking I could use your hookup instructions for a similar install down the road.

1 Like

Yeah it may not be exactly the same like the wiring from the motor but it will be very similar.

If anyone wants to carve with the rotary attached here is a post processor for vcarve Onefinity ROTARY (MM).pp (5.0 KB)

Here’s a test piece I carved with it: Post up them projects - #421 by rblur01

6 Likes

Roger, carving with the rotary, do we still make the changes in the motor settings?

Yes changing the motor settings is to be able to use the rotary for movement instead of the Y axis of the machine

2 Likes

As usual sir thank you

Thanks for posting this Roger, I have been wanting a 4-axis rotary since I bought the Onefinity and had given up hope that an upgrade would be made available.

I used your guide and post processor and was able to setup the rotary without any problems at all. Now I just need to think through the best way to modify my workbench to allow larger rotary carves!

2 Likes

I’m glad it worked for you, I’m sure there’s some room for improvement/tweaking of what I posted but it’s a place to start with it. I hope you enjoy using the rotary

Roger I tried the files and neither worked for me. I took a look at the gcode and it appears when I save the files the A does not show up. The Y is still there.

Here is a partial snippet of the code. This is a toolpath using the Vetric Wrapping Gadget.

(VECTRIC POST REVISION)
(B9F7D5E523080216A61B5A5C0AF656DB)
T1
G17
G20
G90
G0X0.0000Y0.0000
S14000M3
G0X0.0000Y0.4459
G1F60.0
G1X12.0000F175.0
G1Y0.5413
G1X0.0000
G1Y0.6368
G1X12.0000
G1Y0.7322
G1X0.0000
G1Y0.0000
G1F60.0
G1X12.0000F175.0
G1Y0.1071

I havent used vcarve in a while but it should still wrap the y. Are you sure you selected the correct post processor in vcarve and it’s not using the last post processor you used?

Yes, correct PP. That is the output of your file listed in the PPs. I chose it and as you can see the code shows Y and not A.

Here are my project steps.

1. Using Rotary drew a bow 1.5”x12”
  2. Selected Gadgets/Wrapping/Rounding Toolpath
  3. From the PP drop down list I chose your file and then saved the file to my toolpaths.
  4. I went to my machine and opened the file to run it.
  5. I had already homed my machine using the X/A/Z file opened.
  6. I set my X and Z.
  7. When I ran the file it went to X and did nothing as to turning in rotation.

I’m stumped.
Do you think I should change the A back to Y on the 1F?

Send me a screenshot of your project in vcarve and when I get home I can try and mess around with vcarve and make sure the post processor is working. I know multiple people have used the post processor me included and it worked fine so not sure what the issue is.

These lines indicate use of the standard Onefinity PP that is included by Vectric, not the rotary PP.

Project Setting

Toolpath View

Showsyour file in Notepad Gcode

How can it be changed

1 Like

From your image, you have the standard laser PP selected:

1 Like