Anyone had experience wet sanding to poloshing epoxy?

I have tried a number of processes, and spent a number of weeks of time, in order to bring my epoxy inlays to a gloss or polished look. Attempting to make it look like it was just poured. This included high grit sanding with 3,000-6,000, polishing with a bench grinder polishing wheel, even using automotive waxes and polishes, and I finally found the one thing that worked amazingly well and is very close (in my opinion) to freshly poured/cured epoxy: 2K Automotive Clear Coat! This stuff is amazing, durable and UV resistant (because it goes on top of car paint).

Granted the only thing I did not try is Rubio Monocoat, but I did not want to cover the entire piece of wood, and the epoxy inlay was only 1/2" wide by about 18" long stripe that was part of a 3D (relief) carving, so I could not just pour the epoxy after carving. Just a couple strips of painter’s tape on either side of the epoxy strip and 2-3 coats of the 2K.

I even tried a non-2K, regular, clear coat and it worked okay, but the 2K version of the clear coat was a night and day difference in glossy. Note, “2K” means 2 Component, or a Part A and Part B (hardener with slow, medium, and fast variants) with a 4-1 mix ratio. I also picked up some regular “Reducer” and mix it at a 10% ratio to thin it out a little as I’m putting it through a regular airbrush.

Another great thing I found about this option; I only have to sand to 800-1000 grit, just enough to get the obvious/majority of marks to disappear, the clear coat fills in all the micro scratches. I have attached a photo of the exact brand I bought, but I would think any reputable brand will do. I also suggest going to a true Automotive Paint Supplier (not Autozone) which I happen to have one locally, to make sure and get a good brand. The paint supplier was beyond helpful and even gave me the little bit of reducer I needed for free!

Oh yeah, I also restored my car’s headlights using this 2K clear coat! Again, only sanding to 1000 grit, masking off the headlight assemblies and put down about 3-4 coats. They literally look brand new like from the factory. Sorry I don’t have any photos of epoxy projects that I used with this.

3 Likes