Computer requirements

Anyone have recommendations on a laptop to use for cnc routing? Like what should the computer have? What would be nice?

My understanding is that it will have its own processor and run on a sneeker network (thumbdrive) so transfer rates and such will be unimportant. So the question is what are you going to use for CAD/CAM and how patient are you? I run Fusion 360 and Vcarve and am not at all patient with long renders so I have to have at least a midline machine.

1 Like

It is my (very limited) understanding that Fusion 360 can be used for modeling AND toolpaths. Is Vcarve necessary in addition to Fusion? I had started looking into Fusion 360 for 3D printing. I was glad to see it can do CNC as well. Will I need to learn additional software or will Fusion handle the entire CNC workflow? This will be my first CNC machine so I am trying to learn what I can before mine ships much later this year. :slight_smile:

Fusion360 will do everything. It has a cam (toolpathing) module but I have never figured it out. Probably just me. That said, even if I had the cam in Fusion 360 figured out Vcarve makes certain things MUCH easier.
Things I feel Vcarve is superior at:

• Text
  • Indexing your part
  • Dog bones
  • Much faster from concept to finish for simple things like signs

That’s what I was afraid of. VCarve seems to be extremely popular based on the YouTube videos I have been binge watching lately. I was hoping to avoid having to spend hundreds of dollars just for the software to use my machine. Then again, I don’t want to become discouraged by trying to use overly complicated software or feature starved basic software. I need to pick cheaper hobbies! :laughing:

Amen brother. The good news is at some point making stuff starts to pay even if you don’t sell anything. I have $$$$ of custom stuff that I don’t even know if I’d be able to find someone to make for me if I didn’t make it myself.

2 Likes

Carveco has me intrigued, as far as mt patients I am not a patient person. So I will be buying more then I need lol

I am trying some programs out for design. I am having some success with a surface pro that I have. No lag and runs v carve and cura (3d printing) with no lag. I like the portability and the pen. I am normally a mac person and i have found that I can connect my surface to a 2nd monitor and use the mac keyboard and mouse with no issue if i need a larger screen to design. Needless to say. I have a lot of time on my hands between meetings.

1 Like

Did anyone answer this question?

@pjbrooksjr Which question, Jim? I see a couple in the thread.

The opening question: what computer do I need for cnc routing [on the OneFinity]? None, it comes with a controller that drives the machine.

What CAD/CAM will I need? Much more complicated question that depends on what you want to with 1F. what if any CAD or CAM you’ve used in the past. Apple or windows? Free, paid, or subscription model works for your budget? Suggest searching the forum since there are many threads filled with good info and lots of users experiences.

Thanks Mitch. I want to use Carveco and I found on their website what they recommend for a computer. I had am older laptop that I thought I could use but it’s “old” technology so I may have to search for a new computer.

Assuming the OP questions are related to the use of a Onefinity CNC:

First: You don’t need a computer to run the Onefinity; it has its own mini-computer (Raspberry Pi) that runs the CNC machine’s “controller” board. The controller board is an even more simple microcontroller that just sends commands to some electric motors. Therefore, you could simply use a tablet to control and run programs (gcode) on the Onefinity, once you connect the machine to your local network of course.

Me, personally, I have a simple wireless keyboard/mouse and HDMI monitor connected direct to the Raspberry Pi on the Onefinity main control box. I then connected the control box to my local network via a network cable (not WiFi) and can use a browser on my personal computer (desktop) upstairs to upload and control the machine.

Second: As far as a computer to run CNC routing software for design and creation of vectors and gcode to upload (rhyme intended), by computer standards, I have a 4-year-old vintage Intel Core i5-6600 CPU @ 3.3 GHz and 16 GB of RAM and I can run everything from Fusion to Vectric using ultra-high resolution renderings and at very respectable speed. So, I would think whatever computer you can purchase used today would be sufficient.

Epilogue:
As far as CAD software, I simply learned to use FreeCAD (open source) about 5 years ago, and have been able to create some pretty respectable 3D models for printing, as well as now doing relief carvings out of wood. This was mainly because I believe Fusion is too expensive. Yes there’s a “free” (cough) version but I also don’t do subscription software unless absolutely necessary. And in that case when I have to, I still decide not.

Even with knowing FreeCAD, I still bit the bullet and purchased VCarve. After trying it out I knew that a piece of software written to this degree and designed to do this one thing as best AND EASY as possible was the way I wanted to go. Other software is either subscription (evil) based, is online and runs slowly through a web browser, or is not powerful enough. I thought I was going to use FreeCAD a ton for doing CNC stuff, but have only opened it up a few times for making 3D models.

And, for all this crazy mess of software and hardware I have invested serious amounts of money and time into, I know that Vectric, Onefinity and Raspberry Pi corporations could go out of business tomorrow along with the Internet breaking, and I will still be able to turn my machine on and make chips.

3 Likes