Engraving logo issue

Hi All
I’m using a 15 degree vee bit to engrave my headstock logo 1/8" deep. The wood left between the letters is very thin, like 1/32" wide. (The engraved logo is filled with epoxy later on so the thin wood is protected.) I’ve engraved the logo successfuly in about 50% of the guitar necks I’ve been making but the other 50% are getting chewed up in the engraving. Is there any settings changes for the tool I can re-configure that will give me a higher success rate?

Situations vary and can depend on a lot of factors, including the individual piece of wood.

But some things you might try:

• being less aggressive with feeds, speeds, and depth of cut (per pass)
  • masking your material before cutting to add surface strength (same concept as using tape to prevent tearout with a saw or drill)
  • cutting V paths before clearance paths, if applicable
  • using a thicker piece of material and setting a start depth for your carve of greater than zero, then surfacing to remove the extra material after the epoxy has been applied
2 Likes

It may help to show what you mean by getting chewed up, also what kind of wood?

But, adding to Matticustard’s list, here are a couple things I can think of:

• Change direction of the cut from “Climb” (usually default) to “Conventional
  • Try the same toolpaths in a different, harder, wood
  • Check to see what the width of your V-Bit tip is. In other words Amana has two different 15 degree bits; the 45611 and 45628. The 45611 has a near nothing 0.005" tip and the 45628 has a 0.666" much wider tip. So perhaps try to see if you can get a smaller tip?
1 Like