Has anyone else considered drag chains?

Thanks Mark that would be awesome… I’ll send her a note.

Garrett,

Another thing that would be a perfect add is @mkngjoy Josh’s X axis wire stress protector… esp with Drag Chains. I added one to my machine and it tucks them in nicely so there is ZERO movement at the plug when traveling the Y axis at all.

He’s got them on his Etsy store if your interested, for $2 and $5 depending if you want to print yourself.

7 Likes

Good idea, thanks.

20 characters

2’ and smaller connectors would be the perfect size.

1 Like

I figured out the lower half of the drag chain, not much more I can do until I actually get the machine.

1 Like

Not a Onefinity (YET) but here are some pics of the drag chain I put on my first CNC. They were a tremendous help with cable management. The angle and flat bar were purchased at HD and just cut to size for the drag chain to sit in.

2 Likes

Good to see this thread getting some attention.

I’ve just finished the final version of my chains. They run spindle cable, coolant lines, and X/Z-stepper control cable. Mounts to the onefinity rails using existing hardware. I’ll share stl files and final photos this weekend. Here’s a preview:

21 Likes

WOW, that is an awesome looking set up.

1 Like

:ok_hand: neat and tidy, looks great

1 Like

Love that setup, muddyfeet. I wanted to do a drag chain along the X axis also (and always thought this should have been part of the design, instead of one curly cable and other cables with no place to go), but it didn’t look easy to do. It looks like you made some 3D printed parts to do this? If you are selling I would take a set.

3 Likes

RowdyRomans boom works for a few.

1 Like

@muddyfeet That looks amazing and is really satisfying to look at. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

Stl files on thingiverse.

18 Likes

@muddyfeet Can you add a link to buy directly from you please

Sorry, guys- I’m not in the business of selling stuff. I encourage you to make your own, though! Files are on thingiverse for free for personal use. Shapeways is fairly expensive- maybe about $150 for printing these models without any seller markup. Honestly, the best option is to get a 3D printer and use this as a starting point. Remember, this project does require longer cabling also.

There’s a lot of people around here that do operate etsy stores, etc. If there’s enough demand, Id be willing to license the design to somebody to produce and ship and whatnot- but Id likely require half of net profits go to charity or something.

8 Likes

@muddyfeet I would be happy to work with you. However I am worried about the time it requires to print something like this. If the time and cost to the customer is not too great I would be happy to supply this item for people and support a first responder charity. Let me know the details and we can see what we can do!

7 Likes

This is the right way to do it. Cable track is supported the entire length of travel and the wires are properly laid side by side and secured.

2 Likes

Beautiful work, Muddyfeet! Thanks for sharing this!

Where did you pick up your 4 pin connectors? Also, did you use 18 / 4 shielded cabling?

Thanks.

I got someone local to print these out for me as I am currently waiting for my 3d printer to arrive.

1 Like

Connectors are Molex, but beware they are two different sizes: at the controller end they are Molex micro 3.0mm, and at the machine end are Molex mini 4.2mm.

Cabling is shielded 18/4. Commonly sold as security alarm cable.

The X-axis cable is straightforward to wire, but I found that the Z-axis cable has a different pinout for the connectors. Look at your stock cables for guidance and see what color wires go to which position in each connector. The stock Z control has two cables: the curly Z cable switches two of the wires around. If you look closely at the video, you can see I got it wrong, and instead of starting over making a new cable, I made a short jumper at the Z stepper end that converts the wiring to the correct pinout.

edit- spelling

4 Likes