Help With Simple Square Test Carve

Hello,

I’m having trouble with the Toolpath. I’ve read through the forum below and it didn’t seem to help. I home and zero my XYZ axis using the probe that came with my machine and the State column is green with “HOMED” all the way down and my Toolpath column is green with “OK” all the way down. When I run a simple toolpath (square or circle with a 6 mm depth), the router drills straight down and never runs the toolpath. It stops and then I get the "over’ error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Current settings:
Profile final pass thickness is 0.01
Start depth is 0 mm
Finish depth is 6 mm
Tolerance is 0.025 mm
Profile tool is a 1/4 inch end mill
Stepover 2.54 mm
Stepdown 2.54 mm
Feed rate 10 inch/min
Plunge rate 30 inch/min
Spindle Speed 15,000 rpm
Tool Number 1
Safe Z is set to 5 mm
Home Z is set to 2 mm
Material thickness is 32 mm (113 mm width x 87 mm length)
Material Z Zero is set to the top of the material
I’ve calculated the toolpath and saved only 1 toolpath as an individual file in Onefinity Elite (mm)(*.nc)

Few things I’ve tried:

1. Read through the over/under forum multiple times to no avail.

2. I’ve adjusted my Z slider to every hole/slot position and I still received the caution error: The current tool path file would move 4.6 mm above the axis limit with the current offset. The line is N70 G80 that triggers the emergency stop.

3. Because it was an over/error, I adjusted to the top slot thinking the bit can’t reach the top of the working surface area and re-home/re-probed bot got a different error "Z axis position -139.011mm is less than the minimum soft limit -133 mm While executing GCode block: G38.2 Z-25 F75 At: :5

4. When running the simulation, it runs just fine.

5. I’ve rebooted my machine and redid everything from start to finish.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hey DLR,

I would say, the question is, where is your workpiece zero coordinate (regarding Z), and did you probe/zero it exactly where the workpiece zero coordinate is in your 3D model?

You have a G80 command. Have you checked G80 (Canned Cycles) → Errors?

Regarding multiple tools in one file, do you know my Aiph5u’s ‘tool-change’ routine (V2023-03-14)

Not sure if this it but if you are manually zeroing the z and it is left at 0 when you run the file it doesn’t run, drops the spindle as you are describing. You have to, after zeroing bring the bit up a little bit, couple mm is fine so it’s a positive number and will run fine. At least my machine glitches this way.

Thanks for the reply @BillSpencer86. I use the probe tool that came with my machine to get a perfect zero. I have the tool path set for a zero on top of the material, not the waste board. I created another small cut of a square and after I zeroed the XYZ, I moved the Z axis up 4 mm as you suggested and it still drops straight down. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

@Aiph5u thanks for the reply and suggestions. I start my machine and I home the XYZ axis to the default position (top, left, front). I have my raw material in the center of my machine, and I use the XYZ probe that came with my machine to zero on the surface of the left corner of my material. I just did this and right now it says my Z Axis position is 27.7 mm, Absolute -57.841 mm, Offest -85.541, State Homed, Toolpath Ok. Does this help at all? Looking forward to your response. Thank you.

Not really sure, I had that issue and for me it was the positive number that fixed it, never had an issue since knock on wood…but I also didnt get a probe yet, are the probe offsets correct?

To be completely honest, I don’t know. I just created a simple circle cut. Here is my tool path summary if it helps.

Relief Dimensions:

Width: 113.00000 mm Height: 87.00000 mm
Min X: 0.00000 mm Min Y: 0.00000 mm
Min Z: 0.00000 mm Max Z: 0.00000 mm

Material Thickness = 32.0000 mm

Z Zero = Top of material

Machining Time: 00:00:12

Circle1210 - End Mill 1/4 Inch

Tool: [1] 0.250 inches dia. slot drill
Feed Rate: 100.000 inch/min
Plunge Rate: 30.000 inch/min
Safe Z: 5.000 mm
Spindle Speed: 1800 rpm
Stepover: 0.000 mm
Tolerance: 0.025 mm
Allowance: 0.000 mm
Home Position: X:0.000 Y:0.000 Z:5.000
Comments: Circle1210

Finish Depth: 5.000

Feed Rate Length: 437.9 mm
Plunge Rate Length: 10 mm
Rapid Rate Length: 65 mm
Machining Time: 00:00:12

Machining time estimates based on a rapid feedrate
of 0.000 mm/sec and a time scaling factor of 1.00

The last error I received was:

Warming Jog: Cannot enter jogging cycle while in running cycle
Error: I2C write failed: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error
Error: I2C failed: I2C write failed: [Errno 121] Remote I/O error

Hello everyone!!!

SOLVED!!! It was the file extension. I was saving my toolpaths as Onefinity Elite (mm)(*nc) and when I saved my toolpath as Onefinity - BB (mm)(*ngc) it resolved my problem. Carving away! Thanks again for all the help and suggestions, I still learned something from your help!

I’m running a Onefinity Journeyman X-50 (48"x32"Cut Area).

V/r,
DLR

2 Likes

Hey DLR,

that seems to be okay. Regarding the three columns on the CONTROL page: What Buildbotics.com call “Absolute” means in fact machine coordinates, “Position” means where you are in your currently valid coordinate system, and “offset” is if you substract the first by the second value.

If you wonder about negative machine coordinates, remember that on Z axis, you only have negative coordinates as machine origin on the Onefinity machine is the topmost position on the Z axis.

1 Like

Hey DLR,

ah okay. Then good luck for subsequent operation!