Info on the Breakout Board Accessory (non-elite machines only)

I am thankful for that, thanks.

1 Like

@grdeemer , This thread discussion if for non-elite machines that need a breakout board. You have an elite machine so you’ve posted in the wrong thread.

A couple of questions about the breakout board…

I currently have a VFD hooked up over modbus and have that selected for my tool. Are the PWM pins still active and separately controllable with gcode? Would this interfere with the modbus communications?

I am trying to control a stepper motor and can run through an arduino to interpret the PWM signal and drive stepper that way, but not sure if the PWM pin is still active with modbus running or if that would use the same gcode and thus interfere. If this doesnt work, I could also try to use the Load 1 or 2 (M7/M8) since I will not have a flood or mist system on my CNC.

Hey Matt,

the ‘tool-enable’ and ‘tool-direction’ outputs do not work if you select a VFD as ‘tool-type’ on the TOOL page.

The ‘PWM output’ probably does not either in this case, but I have not tested it.

For what do you use the stepper? Do you only have to switch it on and off?

Hey there, on the RC-ATC there is a dust cover that can open/close so just need a high/low signal for this…actually just need to take it to ground, but I can work with a H/L signal for this.

If there was any available input it would be awesome so I could read the IR beam that is on the RC-ATC and monitor to ensure the tool has been disengaged before moving to the next and engaging.

As it stands right now it looks like Pin 1 and 2 in the breakout board are available since I am not planning on running a coolant/mist system. I was hoping to find a universal path that would work for anyone with a spindle/VFD and not take a way the possibility of someone running one of those systems.

I thought about pin15 but some are using that pin for dust collection or other device plugged into and IoT powerstrip.

1 Like

Another question, is PIN 24 - Analog 1 an input or output? Can this be read or controlled with a Macro or Gcode?

Hey Matt,

unfortunately there are only few inputs and outputs for universal use on the buildbotics system. I think that sometimes a “Pause” hardware input for a button would be nice. The ‘tool-enable’ pin 15 is triggered by M3/M5, but only with the router or a PWM spindle or a laser. I can serve as trigger for turning the router/PWM spindle on at the same time with the dust collection. When using a VFD as ‘tool-type’, you always have a VFD and it’s the VFD that has relay outputs for spindle coolant pump and dust collection on/off. This also allows on some VFDs to let the spindle be cooled by the pump a little longer after it was stopped.

You have M7/M8/M9 for workpiece mist and flood coolant on load-1 and load-2 outputs.

Unfortunately there is no output signal on the Buildbotics Controller for M6 (‘tool change’). That would what be what you need. But a VFD’s relay output can be triggered by a number of options, e.g. depend on a specific spindle rpm speed reached to switch something on and off. You could program one of the VFD relay outputs to trigger opening the tool magazine cover as soon as the spindle does not run anymore.

The RC-ATC says it has a IR sensor, where is it located and what is its purpose?

In this page they say you could use an inductive proximity sensor. Wouldn’t that be the right solution to open the tool magazine cover? To connect it to an input on an Arduino or an ATTiny which would trigger the stepper motion.

1 Like

I have an ATTiny that I just programmed last night to handle some of this by bringing two pins to ground to open the dust cover with a manual button, it can be made to work with a proximity sensor as well which I could use when the X axis is within the area that my RC-ATC and probe block is located (front left).

The IR sensor shoots a beam across the magazine to check for a tool still in the spindle before it moves to the next tool to engage.

1 Like

Hey Matt,

reading the IR sensor and a proximity sensor are a perfect job for an ATTiny. The problem is you have no universal inputs on the buildbotics controller to make the output of the microcontroller available to the ‘tool-change’ program (except if you hack the buildbotics code). The only input is “estop” and in most cases this is not what the machine operator needs :slight_smile:

As far as I know, the Analog 1 and 2 pins have no code behind them.

At present, the BB Controller does not have the ability to read (and make use of an analog input signal). The hardware is in place, but no software to use it.

– Doug Coffland in Re: Sherline Spindle Tachometer & Speed Control – Buildbotics Forum

Exactly that is the problem at hand… reading an input and then having code behind it to do something with. From what I understand the Load1&2 are just blind outputs where I would issue a M7 or M8 and it sends a command (with no response returned) to a mist/coolant system. So this works fine for the dust cover, but not for the IR sensor. Sigh.

2 Likes

Hey Matt,

the lack of inputs and the strange behaviour of “estop” (loosing all position and offset values) is really annoying. That’s also one of the reasons why I’m not planning to use this controller for my machine (neither the Masso because it is proprietary, closed-source). On Buildbotics and its Onefinity derivate, you don’t even have an input for a program pause when someone opens the door of the enclosure, and you don’t have the capability for the program to continue smartly when the door is closed again.

I however think that the price-performance ratio is excellent on the Onefinity Controller. It is a stand-alone CNC controller and has the stepper drivers included (unlike the Masso, that needs separate stepper drivers or stepper motors with integrated drivers) and it supports Modbus protocol over RS-485 serial communication that not only allows to set spindle rpm exactly but also reports VFD speed setting back (unlike the Masso which is not capable of Modbus protocol).

1 Like

Totally agree that for the price point it is a great machine and I have been happy with mine. I didnt expect this project that I am working on to be easy, but hadnt hoped to hit a dead end here. All good though I have 90% of what I had hoped to achieve within reach so now it is a matter of cleaning up my gcode and macros and getting the program-start and tool-change code blocks working well. You have been invaluable in this process and have pointed me to a lot of great sources/links.

2 Likes