Closed loop upgrade with BB controller

Good afternoon,
I’m coming from the laser world and wondering if the DB15 breakout connector would allow me to upgrade the steppers on my X50 woodworker with a BB controller to closed loop steppers?
I’ve done it on my Co2 with a Ruida controller, but not familiar with the BB controller just yet.
Thanks in advance.

Hey Jeremiah,

yes, the Buildbotics.com controller allows exactly that. But there is no such connector on Onefinity’s software and hardware fork of the Buildbotics controller.

Buildbotics.com introduced that auxiliary connector after one user really succeeded with accessing to the solder points for STEP±{X,Y,Z,A}, DIR±{X,Y,Z,A}, Motor Enable, and Alarm on the AVR Mainboard (gerber source) and demonstrated the use of external stepper drivers (thereby bypassing the internal Texas Instruments DRV8711 stepper drivers). But Onefinity generally does not backport any new things, neither hardware nor firmware.

I had a look at the pcb, and although I am an experienced solderer, I would say, if you want to attempt this on Onefinity’s pcb, good luck! :frowning: Better buy a Buildbotics controller that has the 15-pin D-Sub auxiliary connector.

Image 1: Buildbotics CNC Controller

Image 2: Onefinity CNC Controller

EDIT: Link to Onefinity pcb gerber file repaired.

2 Likes

Makes perfect sense! I’m pretty comfortable around a soldering station as well, but I’m not set up to do “board based” mods any longer.
Thanks for the information!

1 Like