New Advanced Controller that supports rotary 4th axis cutting and stall homing

Now that Onefinity has an option to purchase the CNC without the Buildbotics controller, there is an opportunity to offer a 2nd controller option for new purchases, or as a upgrade for existing users, that includes full 4th rotary axis cutting capabilities as well as include the stall homing. Currently, any aftermarket option for the 4th axis appears to require a change to limit switches for homing, which is a great feature of the Onefinity.

Rich,
Is this a onefinity option or are you buying outside?

We do not offer a different controller. We only have the one, we just give the option to not purchase a controller with a machine now.

Sorry if I caused confusion here, I was offering an idea for a future hardware offering. I was not suggesting or asking about a different controller offering available now. There doesn’t appear to be any way to add the 4th rotary axis with the Buildbotics, and my understanding is that Onefinity no longer plans to work on this, unless you can advise otherwise.

I believe I had read somewhere - from other forum members with experience - that the 1F BB based controller would not be able to run a 4th axis. This CNC user has a solution where he switches out the axes connections, and loads a new profile to run the rotary axis. He is using Mach 3(4?) I believe, and a different controller, but perhaps the 1F controller can support this workaround. I am sure others will correct or add to my suggestion.

I run a rotary on mine by switching out the Y axis for the Axis, and use vectric to wrap my A axis around the Y axis. It’s not true rotary as I have to tell the controller to move 1mm for 1degree but it works for the lasering I’ve been doing on tumblers.

1 Like

Hey Roger,
I did see your post, however I am looking to carve on the rotary so the controller would have to adjust for the constantly changing diameter. Originally Onefinity stated they would use some sort of add on controller/ box to do this, but I believe they have now decided not to add this ability. I think that is a mistake on their part.

1 Like

Ah I understand. Yeah that would be nice. I have been looking at getting another controller to be able to have better ability for the rotary but it’ll be down the road for me on that when money/time to find a good choice.

That is an option, but then you would also loose the stall homing capability. If @onefinitycnc can advise if they will not offer this capability for sure, I would start looking to go down that path as well.

1 Like