Looking for suggestions on acrylic bits

Are O spiral bits the way to go? Should there be a different bit for a cutting out, drilling, and pocketing?

Freud 1/16" (Dia.) Double Flute… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004T7B2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I bought this and am really pleased, especially for the price. I’ve only done small shape and word cutouts (1" tall script) on 3mm ish cast acrylic.

1 Like

We used single flute, upcut endmills at my past workplace. Make sure you lead/ramp in as you cut.

1 Like

I use my ‘trusty’ 1/8" o flute on my acrylic projects, cuts like a dream. Used it to make a new base for my handy DeWalt palm router I use since it has that pesky pac-man shaped base.

2 Likes

Nice job, you should flame polish the edges!

1 Like

I have had good luck with the Amana Tool 51515-K Spektra Coated SC Spiral Single Flute just purchased the Amana Tool 51405-K

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll have to look it up on how to do it.

A few notes on machining acrylic. First of all, the sharper the cutter, the cleaner the cut. Acrylic is brittle so you need to be careful when you enter and exit the material. It’s pretty common for the acrylic to chip when the cutter enters or exits the material. Also, always buy cast acrylic. The extruded is cheaper but whatever they add to make it extrudable causes it to melt while while cutting (and sanding) which will will leave you with a terrible surface.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Any suggestions on brand or where to purchase / order?

Yes the the two Amana bits I referenced above. I like Tools Today. Fast shipping, easy website, great customer service, reasonably priced.

1 Like