Putting the OF on marble columns😀

Just for fun, we had a discussion about adding weight to the table and it was felt unnecessary. I could not let it go so I did not put it in the table I went for marble columns. Can anyone identify the wood used? Top is 62”x51” and 39 high.thinking about adding drawers or doors any comments or ideas. You can tell I have time on my hands while waiting for my OF.

5 Likes

Wow, that’s over-the-top AMAZING!!! :sunglasses:

Bill,
Thank you for the comment. I was thinking my post fell into a black hole.

We were all just speechless at your marble columned parthenon :wink:

1 Like

Thank you so much for the comment. What kind of wood is it?

@Dustydave
Is that curly maple?

1 Like

No Rodger but it is a domestic species.

I’m going to guess chestnut. Though you don’t often see it with so much figure, I have a piece or two that looks like that. Could also be sycamore!

1 Like

David, Is that sassafras?

1 Like

I will tell all tomorrow what it is and where I cut it.

One more guess… :blush:
River Birch?

2 Likes

Figured birch is my guess.

I have a granite island top I may need to put to use as a shelf :slight_smile:

Credit for trying again, reveal in the am

Good call on the use ofThe granite slab ,I may do just that . However I’m sorry it is not birch. Reveal in Am

Ok Nick ,
Your you supposition was correct. It’s is Quarter sawn American Sycamore! I cut the tree with my Dad on his farm in palmyra ny. The tree had a 4’ base which split into two main limbs about 20” in diameter. We milled the logs with a portable sewer and then took the lumber to a nerve by kiln. I ended up with about 700 bd ft. Of quarter sawn American Sycamore. Thank you all for your comments.
Dave

2 Likes

That’s some beautiful wood @Dustydave and a good story to go along with it!

2 Likes

The wood looks like Plane, Platanus acerifolia.

1 Like

I just read your post and although you answered the species of wood, I was simply going to say that the table itself is as awesome as the species of wood used. Really nice looking and I could only wish to have that amount of space to build something like that. Great job and design!

1 Like

Dave you are next level. Super impressive work. You have inspire me to consider switching my 1F workbench material to an Australian hardwood maybe Jarra, or Victorian Ash. Your contributions to the OF Forum just keep getting better! Can’t wait to get my Woodworker in May :call_me_hand:t3:

1 Like

Paul you are right that looks a lot like it. It is amazing what difference it makes when you cut it parallel to the rays. Thank you for the photo and your post.