Speeds and IPM and feeds

Can anyone take a look here and let me know if I’m on the right track with setting up some Freud bits. I’m using VCarve Pro. Thank you!

Ya, I’ll bite…
Stop listening to some of the people on here…
Slow your feed way down… something like 40 to 60… especially for hardwoods!!!
You’re going to break a bit or burn the wood!
Just saying…
You HAVE to do your test runs to see what works for the job you’re doing!

And shame on some of you guys… you know better!

1 Like

Thanks. I’m new and have never cut anything with a CNC. So I’m just plugging the math in as it spits out of the different calculators. The IPM seemed quite high to my inexperienced CNC self. I’ve not actually got too much of my info from this forum on this topic. Just trying to wrap my head around it all.

@NINE18
Don’t get me wrong… I’m not mad at anyone, but…
(and we all know what comes after BUT).
I get there are a lot of first time people here, and I really don’t mean any disrespect… but those of us who have done this SHOULD be helping the new people to make a better product, no matter what it is they do… I’m assuming that’s why we have a community?
I’m just currently having a weak moment trying to understand why some people are pedaling crap…
But that just might be my perception…
And if I’m wrong, I apologize and stand corrected…
All I ask is that those who have REAL experience, step up and help guide people who invested in this platform…
Everything else is just balloons, pinwheels, and fluff…
Ok, rant over…

To answer your original question… Your feed are way too fast… you will break expensive bits and burn your projects!

Always do a test run… and adjust your settings to get the best results!

4 Likes

Couldn’t have put it any better myself, Gerry. :+1:t2:

This guy explains it really well. Slow speeds are what burns and breaks bits. And your feed speeds are what I run my machine at so you will have no problem at that speed. I think you may want more stepover but that is personal preference. This stuff is not an opinion its a technical specification that has one right answer. That answer may be hard to nail down due to material hardness and moisture content but the math for chipload will not be far from the specs that are given for each bit.

3 Likes

@JDog thank you for your help! I’ll check these out. This is definitely the kind of info I’m looking for! Just trying to learn and get myself to some type of starting point. Thanks again!

Here is a video from 1F a year ago cutting 6061 aluminum at 275ipm 30krpm .015doc 1/4 single flute.

2 Likes