Spindle running at half speed

Check vfd setting. You can use this Information to build you own Onefinity Companion Control Box - #21 by blaghislain

Double check your particular VFD, but on mine you set PD13 to 8.

Guys, thank you for the replies. I changed out the cable from the vfd to the controller and it worked!!

1 Like

Pd144 set to 3000
Tells the vfd what speed to match the 1F Gcode.

Charley your a star, spindle works perfectly now (and a lot more responsive after adjusting PD144), many thanks

1 Like

Setting up a VFD and Spindle can be a little frustrating. When I setup my first one a couple of years back there was next to no information available and what was available was just bits and pieces of the entire process. However, once you have it setup correctly then the rewards are plentiful.

I have tried to include as much information as possible to make it easier for anyone to add this to their machine with as little difficulty as possible. The input from other users have provided further clarification and filled in some of the gaps I missed. Thank you to for those additional tid bits of info.

As some of you on the OneFinity Forum are already aware, a good VFD and Spindle will make this already superior machine even better. Yes, it is a bit pricy up front but in the long term, it will easily balance out. I have been running the same spindle for years without any issues or replacement of parts. With a palm router you can plan on replacing brushes at the very least on a regular basis. Not so with a spindle. Not to mention the reduction in noise levels.

Charley

1 Like

Yes i agree, the spindle, with the low noise & ability to run for hours without overheating or taking out brushes is the ultimate upgrade, however i desperately need to get a shielded 4 wire supply cable from the vfd to the spindle as the one i am currently using is causing all sorts of havoc due to rf interference, the problem is i simply cant find quality insulated 4 core…

I got my sensor cable from Igus, from their ChainFlex line. These German made cables look to be high quality and they have many options to choose from for all applications including spindles. I do not work for them, just happy with the quality and fast shipping - I’m in Canada and ordered through their online portal. A few months ago I contacted them to ask about cable options and they sent out a box of samples free of charge. I plan to buy my spindle cable from them, but that will be a future project.

Here’s where I bought mine: High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components.

Mike & TM, many thanks for your recommendations, the chain flex line does indeed look good qulality, Mike im sure your aware but if you follow the link you provided an click on a vfd it even lists the setup parameters fo the machine, with one of those being pd144 at 3000 - could be very helpful to anyone looking for base settings

1 Like

Careful not to confuse frequencies with rpm… LoL… There is a convoluted calculation to convert, so simply set display to show the gauged rate and adjust manually with the knob if you like.
Also has maybe a ±16-20% variance due to power frequency mismatches in standard supply wiring (we expect 60Hz in Americas, other locations see 50Hz) m= 83% vs. 120%… the mean may be good enough, depending on which way you convert.