Squaring With Geometry

Let me start by saying I’m an accuracy guy, but not a “…by God, it’s off by three angstroms, I gotta redo it!” guy.

I just placed my Woodworker on a new table and I am checking square of the rails using 3-4-5. I want to be sufficiently accurate to not have alignment problems when assembling tiled sections of a larger project.

I do not have a large enough machinists rule, so am relying on a high quality tape measure (and burning an inch while measuring).

Using 7 inches as my unit of measure I marked X21 and Y28 and measured diagonal, which should then be 35 inches. I find I am off by just less than 1/32 of an inch.

Given the limitations in accuracy of a tape measure, is it futile for me to work any harder on this?

Hey John,

I would consider 1/32" (~0.8 mm) as not as accurate as could be possible, and I think it could already make problems with tiling.

Even if you use a geometrical method (the special case of the Pythagoran theorem known as 3-4-5), you don’t really use a geometrical method since you use the tape measure as reference object (difference between comparison to a reference object and geometrical method).

Why not use a purely geometrical method (comparing diagonals) like the bar gauge method? Here you are not limited to the accuracy of a measuring instrument.

The best test is of course milling something (a rectangle on a workpiece of workarea size with the tip of a V-bit) and then check this with the bar gauge, or: Try if you mill the same lines after rotating the workpiece by 90° (or if on the result two lines have an angle to the previously milled lines then, then it’s not square)

1 Like

Thank you. I made a quick bar gauge and adjusted to a “by feel” at the intersections of tubes and feet blocks and when I started wondering “since that intersection is curvlinear I could still be off if my bar gauge is microscopically thicker on one end than the other” I declared it close enough, fixed the feet, and took a nap.

3 Likes

Geometry may be used to find the area of a square from its side length. A = s2, where A is the square’s area and s is one side’s length. This method of finding the area of a square can be used to find the area of a room, pool, or garden.

Squaring with geometry helps solve numerous difficulties and teaches geometry concepts. For more information on the topic of squares, visit the link https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Geometry_Course/Polygon/Quadrilateral/Square

Not exactly, but perhaps it’s just because of the keyboard options you had.

A square’s area is calculated by multiplying the length of its side by itself - A=S*S or A=S^2

The S2 notation you used would most often be considered 2S or 2*S.

It would be better if keyboard & text editors provided for an embedded superscript so it would be clear when trying to express a number or variable raised to a power, like Side raised to the second power or Side squared.

The use of the caret (^) symbol became the standard for indicating a value being raised to a power of that value decades ago due to the lack of superscripting support on typewriters (remember those? :grinning:) and computer displays that didn’t support superscript displays (or subscripts either). Now displays, typography and text editors all have the ability to display the correct styles, but unfortunately the programs used (like Discord here) don’t make it easy.

It can be done but it requires a user go to another program, create the superscript, copy the result and then paste it.

Like this A=S²

…and that, as Paul Harvey used to say, is the rest of the story :smiley:

Hey Jim,

you are right. I would expect s^2. But there is also a unicode sign “²” (U+00B2) .

s^2 is understood by all programmers. It’s bc language and used this way in most programming languages.

However, discourse forums use the Markdown markup language (including Syntax highlighting in markdown) which supports some html so entering

s<sup>2</sup>

gives s2 :slight_smile:

“sub” is also availabe, e.g. for writing things like “CO2”. That’s how I used it to write things like this e.g.:

The downer is, when you copy it, the subs and sups do not remain :frowning:

Unfortunately unlike MediaWiki software, the discourse forums don’t support TEX :frowning:

1 Like

Most of us likely have screws (or bolts) that might be a smaller diameter than the feet anchor holes. I discovered I had to prevent a very slight shift when moving and anchoring rails, etc. to get the perfect square. Measured diagonally. (Using OneF basic setup procedure video.)

Cutup plastic wall insert for a tight fit in the foot hole…
with rubber backed washer.
Likely other good methods out there. Goodluck and be square!

1 Like