Still have chips packing in slot

I’m cutting 1" deep 7/32 wide closed end slots .the material is walnut and 1" thick I’m using an amana 7/32 up cut 18000 rpm, .210 step down, 80ipm . I still get a lot of chips packed in the slot . Is this normal, Is doc too much. is it because there’s no open end. should i use a 1/8th instead. thanks

1 Like

A 3/16" bit might work better, as the second pass will help get the chips out. But it’s very common for chips to pack into a slot the same width as the bit. Shallower passes can help, but at 1" total depth, it’s tough to get the chips out of there. A compressed air blower nozzle at the tool can help.

4 Likes

Hi Butch,
Did you try faster feed rates like I suggested in the previous thread?

Maybe theres a piece of scrap you could run a couple test cuts on? Maybe not with nice Maple.

If it’s this tool you’re using, then the recommended feed rate is 100ipm @ 18K rpm, but that almost looks like a typo in the chart. All the other similar sized tools have a recommended feed rate of 180ipm, which makes more sense to me given the tool diameter.

I say (incrementally) let’er rip and see what happens.

Also, are you running the Makita router or a spindle? If you have a spindle, which one do you have?

1 Like

sry, yes the makita on the x50. I’m going to finish up with a finish pass with the 1/4" Ill try increaseing the feed rate. what about the doc. should I leave it ? thanks

I typically shoot for 1/2 of the tool diameter for my depth of cut, but that’s based on metal machining experience. It seems to work well in wood also, but most tool manufacturers say 1x the tool diameter is good for wood. I don’t have a lot of experience with the Makita, but maybe start with a depth of 0.1” or so and see how she goes! If it’s going well, you could increase the depth of cut to decrease your run time for the program. Looking forward to what you find!

1 Like

The primary arguments for a deeper depth of cut are it is faster and you’re utilizing more of the cutter edge and the tool last longer for the equivalent amount of material removal. There is nothing wrong with using a shallower DOC with more passes.

2 Likes