Tiling to create large projects

Hi all. I’m planning on making some projects on my Onefinity that are bigger than the cutting surface. I was wondering if any of you have any advice on the best way to approach this. I’m new to the CNC world and know that tiling is the way to go, but I really don’t know anything about doing it (although the concept seems simple enough). Any advice?

One thing. Vcarve Pro. Get the demo version and start playing with it. Vcarve does exceptional with tiling.

You will also want to set up your unit with zero calibrated fence so that tiling is just a matter of sliding the stock a certain distance.

1 Like

I am also planing on working on larger projects on my future “Machinist”. I have written some blog posts and videos showing my ideas on how. You might find them useful.

4 Likes

Mark, hi. I’m trying to tile with 1Fusing vectric with dimensions of 24 x 63. I keep getting Y axis error after using 1 of 2 tiled files.

Any ideas? Also, are you in fb? my account is af.woodcraft.

Thanks.

Al

For anyone else doing a search to help up their tiling game, know that in Vectric (Pro, Aspire) that your tiling tool path is essentially telling the machine where your subsequent 0,0 is. So, if you were to, say, use 96mm-on-center dogs as reference on a J-man, and have 8 such 20mm dogholes in one column, you’d actually have to plan on taking that in to account for tiling.

By that I mean if you were to reference the 8th row up from bottom left (768mm up), you’d have to actually set your tile-through-y distance to 672mm with a 96mm+10mm (half the diameter of your dog) overcut. In that way, you could slide your material’s reference hole down from the 8th hole to the 1st (a distance of 672mm) in the spoil board to use a doghole as a tiling reference and and in that way ensure that tile #2’s 0,0 reference is in the place you intend.

Doing it this way should result in an 106mm (~4 inches) aircut, but as it zooms to x,y on tile #n and lowers down to the correct z, it should be decently obvious before any cutting happens if there are any workpiece alignment issues.

As usual, if someone with more experience notices some gaps in my knowledge, or if anyone’s come up with a better hack for tiling…please chime in to help future forum members’ search for knowledge.

1 Like

On a J-man, the alternative to the 672mm + 106mm is to separately cut the reference holes at 96,768 and 384,768 as a stand-alone file (or files if you climb-for-rough then convetional-to-finish).

In that case, you could just tile at 672 with a xxmm overcut of your choosing because there’d be no point in cutting the extra 96+10mm to do the reference hole as part of the tiling.