Wandering holes

So I have a project to make a sort of game board with spots to place aluminum cans. I’m using 1/8 straight bit feed rate is 100 and plunge is 50. I’m finding the machine unable to keep the hole (see pic below). Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. By the way I first tried with a 1/4” down bit at 180/ 90 and o was getting the same sort of issues. Thanks for your help

Scott

Morning!

This really looks like work piece movement. I had the same issue and was really frustrated until I realized that my work piece moved ever so slightly. In fact, I have realized since then that blocking the sides as well as double sided tape and proper hold downs was the answer. The image below is an example of blocking the sides (hold downs moved out of the way).

1 Like

I had the same issue on my machine, (not 1F as I am still waiting on mine) it was a loose coupling between stepper and ball screw

Thanks you guys for the tips @bwcherry and @PezWoodworks Turns out o was pushing it wayyyy to hard for such a small space. I’m now running it really slowly @30ipm and 9 yup, slow but crisp and up take it👍

1 Like

@PezWoodworks When you were running the abov carve, what bit, feed, and speed were you using for the holes?

That is not my carve, BWCherry ( Bill C ) posted it
Pat

@bwcherry what bit, feed, speed did you run to make this piece… specifically the holes?

46415-K 1/4" x 1" Down Cut Mill
46225-K 1/8" x 13/16" Down Cut Mill (only on items 1/4" in size or smaller and in corners for pliers and such)

Speeds and feeds were directly from the Amana catalog that you can load from their website. I just left them as is since they seem to work pretty good

1 Like