Why *not* Fusion 360?

Hey Wildmakers, hey all,

Fusion is said to have constantly features being changed, removed or moved into paid version for the shareware version (Fusion is, like no Autodesk product, is by NO MEANS free software).

I think it is important to understand two things: Vector Graphics Software, CAD Software and CAM Software are three different things and you cannot always find a solution that offers all three (except FreeCAD) So you can’t compare Fusion with VCarve Pro and Carveco. But many software cost a lot of money and you could be disappointed after having paid a large amount of money that your software does not offer what you want to do with it. For this reason I suggest to first start with free and open source software which is really free and open, which means, not only you don’t have to pay for them, but you and others can also participate in their improvement by the community. Here what I would recommend:

If you focus on creating the 3D objects you want to mill with your Onefinity machine, you should use the best CAD software that fits your needs. And then, if your 3D object is ready, I would take a CAM software and create the g-code toolpath with it so that you can mill the object with your Onefinity (such programs also often allow to 3D print them). And finally you often start your objects from 2D vector graphics, so you need a vector graphics program.

The other thing I consider as crucial is the question: Do the softwares have didactic tutorials? I would first consult the “Documentation” section of each software’s webpage. Some people find video tutorials there, some have videos on yout*be, and many have text and image tutorials like FreeCAD.

It takes a considerable amount of time to learn to master a 3D modeling software, a CAD software. Therefore I would select a software for which you get good tutorials, or even paid classes

I find Blender has excellent video teaching at youtube, and FreeCAD has excellent text and image tutorials for the very different purposes.

4 Likes