24W QUAD PRO LASER - Bigger, Better, Faster, Stronger

@OnefinityCNC
When will the Lightburn library for this laser be available?

1 Like

@OnefinityCNC Not sure if I am the first to ask this, but are the 24W lasers going to make the 5-10 day ship times listed on the site? Sorry if this was already asked and answered somewhere else.

I have a couple of diode stand alone lasers. My experience with them is that to reduce charring and possible fire you need an “Air Assist”. This is an air pump that has a line ran to a head that is next to and spouts forced air directly to the point where the laser is working. This also serves to reduce the amount of tar/smut that accumulates on the laser - from wood lasering and other by products ie acrylic, powder coating and metal engraving using paint to engrave metal. The lense of the lasers must be meticulously maintained to prevent fracturing as the lense will need to be replaced from time to time. I have a 7w Jtech as an fyi.

1 Like

I saw the graphic that says which Laser is right for me? 7,14,24w. But I don’t understand why the 14w is “the best of both worlds”? Will the 24w not do everything the 14w does, but even better and faster?
Is it because of price or something else I don’t understand? What about when they come out with a 36w or 48w or whatever, next year?

Might have to wait for some real tests to find out for sure but often the higher powered lasers don’t create quite as nice of an engraving as the lower powered ones. You may want to check YouTube for comparisons of 10 and 20 watt lasers doing engraving.

1 Like

I think spot size is also a consideration. The 24w has a smaller and more focused point if i recall, as its intended towards cutting, whereas the smaller lasers have a wider dispersion as they are more for burns and engraves.

I will continue to maintain some of my skepticism about using a diode for chiefly cutting tasks. Clearly it works, but material limitations with visible lasers and potential safety issues of that much power blasting off in an area i set up for machining does sort of scare me off a bit.

I would be lying if i didnt admit to keeping a close eye on the for sale section and thinking about trying to get a 14w on the cheap though, lol. I just don’t think I’d ever get my money’s worth out of the 24, especially not when it requires the use of a machine that specifically is made for cutting wood in the first place. That said, not having to worry about a workholding setup and cutting through pine like it does in that demo… would be pretty neat.

I thought the opposite was true and that the higher watt lasers had larger spot sizes. If not, there would be no advantage to the lower wattage laser outside of cost. I would imagine smaller spot size means more accurate engraving.

2 Likes

I have a 7w Pro and I just ordered an air assist for it. I cut out some Christmas ornament this year and learned a lot. I also received my honeycomb base to help with cut outs. During making the ornaments OneFinity made all their new product announcements. Lol I thought it was interesting the Mark Myers mentioned the 14W was the “sweet spot”. That made me wonder…why? I use my laser for mostly engraving my woodworking projects. So, cutting stuff out is not the main priority. I do love the idea of greater speed in both cutting AND engraving. Does the 24W engrave 4x faster than my 7w or better than the 14w? I’m just trying to learn and make an informed decision, if I was to upgrade.

3 Likes