3D Probe How To

Hers a video I know some have been waiting for. It discusses a bit about 3D probes, and how to install and configure one.

3 Likes

What are your thoughts on using it on the buildbotics 1F?
Thanks!

I don’t have any experience with that controller, but a quick scan of the docs makes me think it only supports 2-wire probes. If that’s the case, you’d need to get the 2-wire version of this probe, or a another probe. If you did, I think it would work fine. Top lists the DIG3D.LP.M.SW on their site that would do this, but I can’t see how to put it in my card. Maybe I’m just missing the obvious.

1 Like

Hi Adam, thanks for the nice video.
I’ve also ordered an while ago the topcom.cz probes and looking forward to install them. When I tested them on the workbench I realized that the spring tensions of tool setter and 3d probe are set in a way that the (softer) tool setter triggers even before the 3d probe starts to move the pin - therefore it must be possible to use the tool setter as reference for Z offset. Did you test something in that direction?
I also wonder how precise the 3d probe can be inserted manually in the spindle collet for accurate measurements?

The video addresses the installation which covers setting the tool length of the probe using your touch block, because as you mention, the tool setter and 3d probe both have springs.

Because the probe has a magnet that holds it in place, I believe it is pretty accurate when manually inserted in the collet, assuming you use the magnet to hold it in place.

My milling results have been good but I should test that. I plan to when I get back next week.