44 Watt laser module- any experiences or suggestions?

I am ready to add a laser to my 1F Journeyman- elite upgrade with PWN spindle… What challenges will I be facing and is the 44 Watt module the best - most turn-key laser solution for my setup?
I am not a true DIY guy when it comes to this type of add-on. I just want it to work and come with all the right cables -
Will I need a new drag chain? I am already carrying two water tubes…
Any experience behind this addition would be nice…
DCC

Depends on what you want to do with the laser. I have the 14W laser, and I’ve not had any reason to upgrade it. If you want to use the laser as a cutter, primarily, you may want to consider a 44W laser If you just want to etch details into wood, a 44W laser may be overkill and could ruin projects if you’re not careful.

Either way, I don’t think you’ll need a new drag chain. The air line for a laser wont be as stiff as a spindle water cooling line. Then again, I’m still using the stock omefinity drag chain and have all non-stock cables run from above on some uni-strut and carriages, since I don’t like drag chains…

Dan

1 Like

I am mostly considering it for engraving/printing on wood… but I hate to limit myself for future growth… Will the 44 watt really have a negative/down side like that? II would hope that it would do everything that a lower wattage would and just as well… That has me worried…
DCC

David C Chamberlain
Owner DCC Creative Services

1 Like

As i said, I own the 14W laser. I’ve not any experience with any of the others.

That said, I can cut through plywood (~1\8") with the 14W laser. I can engrave with the 14W laser. I rarely use it(maybe 3x per year), but when I do, it’s rarely above 60% or so. I run it at fairly fast feed rates, aside from cutting. Why would I need triple the output power? My machine can’t run at 3x the speed I use it at, just because I slap a bigger laser on it. Maybe some of those JTech or Onefinity stickers would speed it up, but I’ve not tried that.

Anyway, bigger lasers are generally for cutting or engraving at higher speeds than you’ll see on a cnc/laser combo. For engraving stuff on wood, (usually at ~200ipm for me) that’s plenty. Don’t see any need to buy something with triple the power and run it at 1/3 of its potential. I only own, and only have experience with the 14W laser, so you may want to verify my assumptions with people who have experience with the bigger ones.

Dan

1 Like

Oh, I suppose i should mention that I’ve only ever used the 14W laser with Baltic Birch plywood. Power requirements may vary if youre working with other materials, but I honestly have no idea, since I’ve only used it with a single material…

I have and use the 24 quite a bit. While emphasizing that I don’t do this as a business, I have acquired a small cadre of local woodworkers who come to me now for laser engraving of large parts and panels. Being able to do laser work on large pieces, even if the thing being lasered on isnt that large (like a name or logo) is a major benefit to strapping a diode to a larger cnc.

When run at high power, and at as high of speeds as the 1f can sling it, the 24 still has enough power that i often dial it down.

I do want a 44, but i cannot really articulate why other than liking gadgets. I do not do a lot of laser cutting, but if i did the 44 would he a great choice. The 24 is still a very good cutting tool up to about 3/8. After that i get a good deal of scorching i feel.

If i could sell my 24 for 650-700 I’d probably turn around and buy a 44. But i don’t view it as a necessary upgrade based on what i do.

2 Likes

So - is there a down side to being ‘tool time Tim’ and going for the 44 watt machine? Will I be fighting with too much power or will i just learn to use it? I have never owned a Laser for any purpose other than driving my wife’s cat crazy. I don’t see spending $1,250 on a 24 Watt when the 44 is just $1,500- But will it be like buying too much motorcycle and I run the risk of flying off into a ditch? It is either the 14 or the 44???

1 Like

For the price difference i would just get the 44. The current price of the 24 vs the 44 doesnt really leave any justification for the 24. The 44 will cut better and you can always just run it at far lower power.

2 Likes