Looking for guidance

So the new 24w laser is drawing a lot of attention. I’m was going to pull the trigger on a 14w laser just before the announcement but not having any experience with a laser I realize bigger may not always be better. I want to be able to engrave and cut materials. Specifically, I’d like to make basic kids puzzles or engrave a picture on a carve, etc. I understand that the spot size is important for doing pictures so you get the right detail.

I’d rather buy once, cry once so I’m willing to pay the higher price for the 24w if it means there’s a significant gain in flexibility, but with the 0.08-0.1mm spot am I sacrificing a lot on the detail side of engraving?

1 Like

I’d wait for people to get them in use and show it works well when dialed in. The video 1F produced shows a very powerful and aggressive burn but every project they hold up is charred and smoked to smithereens. IMO it would have been better to show the best result and if that IS it, I’m not sure more is better with this type of laser.

3 Likes

I was thinking that the image didn’t look all that great but didn’t know if it was the small screen I was viewing it on.

1 Like

Where did you find that spec

Often the higher power diodes are not as good for engraving because they are too fine a point from my reading… Essentially causing really fine detail but much slower runs

1 Like

That was a response in the face book group.A member responded to the announcement asking the question and the Onefinity rep responded with those figures.

I would wait. There were several people who posted in the announcement thread that they just purchased a 14w laser. One or two people may want to upgrade and sell their 14w one at a reasonable price. If the 14w will work for you the new 24w could save you some money.

1 Like

J-Tech versus xTool D1.
Confused as to the utility of spending almost the same $$ on the J-Tech versus the xTool D1. The cut area is a major advantage but the rotary does not exist for the 1F(yet).
Any thoughts?

1 Like

Funny you should post this. I made the decision last night to go with the xtool d1 and bought the extension kit. I think a dedicated laser will be better in the long run.

1 Like