"A Man's GOT to Know His Limitations"

400 Hz is an allowed frequency for the spindle.

Jim you did not show all the settings you’ve done.

Enabling the potentiometer should be done by setting PD002. To which value did you set it?

The setting at PD002 is “0”. The rest is right off of the “cheat sheet” their engineer sent me - with the exception of the changes you and I have corresponded about. Their cheat sheet is for a 2.2kW spindle. PD143 is set to “2”. PD011 is set to “8000”. Voltage is set at 220 and current (PD142) at “7.”

Here’s the cheat sheet provided by the vendor’s engineer:

Variable speed

PD000=0 for Parameter unlock ( 1 ) for Parameter Lock

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control )

( J1 Also Needs to be set for Terminal Control)

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage, If you have 120v spindle then set to 120v )

PD009=15

PD010=8

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting with Quality VFD, 120 is Safe)

PD13= 08 is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default SettingsPD014

Acceleration = 12 ( Adjust to suit)

PD015 Deceleration=12 (Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will

Coast to a Stop)

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage ) (120 for VFD Rated for 120v )

PD142= ( Motor Max Amps) PD142=( 220vSet for your motor Amp Rating 2.2Kw Spindle

9 amp )

PD142=( 220VSet for your motor Amp Rating 1.5Kw Spindle 7 amp )

PD142=( 220v Set for your motor Amps Rating 800w Spindle 4 amps )

PD142=( 120v Set for your motor Amp Rating 800w Spindle 7 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) =3,000= (24,000)

PD70=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v ) I DID NOT CHANGE THIS

PD72=400

PD73=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )

If you have E. Lv. S error code alarm I DID NOT ALTER ANY OF THE FOLLOWING

Pls set

PD200=65535

PD209=70

Weight: 3.3IBs

Width 5" X Length 6.75" Height: 6.375"

This is what one gets for being “penny wise and pound foolish.”

Hey Jim,

you want the Potentiometer to be enabled to choose speed.

As I don’t have this Huanyang VFD I do not know if the Pot on the Panel can be enabled with “0”. But you know that you can choose the speed by using “Arrow down” and “Arrow Up” on the Operator Panel?

Usually a Potentiometer is connected to the analog input, and thus this must be enabled. This would be “1” then for PD002. Did you try this?

Huanyang_VFD__Basic_Connection_Diagram

1 Like

I hope you mean PD011 is set to “133” (and not to 8000). The setting is in Hz.

If you simply want the Spindle to start at its lowest RPM (8000) you may start with setting PD003 to “133” or “140” before you hit “Run”.

1 Like

OK.

Did a factory reset to make sure the hot motor wasn’t due to settings changes made today. For the record, J1 is jumped at 2 and 3 per the manual and the desire for the onboard potentiometer to be enabled. Interestingly, there is a direct contradiction here. The manual instructs in this section that PD002 AND PD70 be set to “1” for the onboard potentiometer to work. I did this and the potentiometer now works. Only at very low RPMs.

After the factory reset, a lot of the parameters are off. After dinner I will get back at it to redo the rest of the parameters. BTW, PD011, 8000 was the desired RPMs - I had entered 133Hz to achieve that. Going forward and to be safe, I will set this to 140. I will also set PD003 to 140.

You know, I do OK when directions are clear. When they are contradictory, and when the vendor supplies info that does not jibe with info from the manufacturer, I get lost pretty fast. Thank you for the help.

1 Like

I don’t see anything about jumpers in the PDF manual. Could you make a copy of the printed manual page and post it?

If you use the potentiometer, you may have a look at Analog Input Settings PD070 – PD076. I would set PD073 (Lower Analog Frequency) to “133” or “140” and PD072 (Higher Analog Frequency) to “400” accordingly to your spindles rated highest and lowest speed. Default in the VFD is “50” which could be the reason why the potentiometer sets speed too low.

1 Like

Getting closer. PD142. Rated current. 1.5kW should be 6.8 - 7. The stamp on the side of the motor reads 1.5kW 5A. Shall I set it to 5 amps to be sure?

Really stretching here - Know how to switch display from Hz to RPM’s?

Now I know what ROTT Means. At 140Hz, the display shows 8400 ROTT. All but the 7 vs 5 amp current question is answered. Hooking up to the OF controller I leave for another day.

To be sure, sure :slight_smile:

Good night!

Good Heavens! What a trial. It really shouldn’t be this difficult. The pea under the mattress can be found on page 10 of the printed manual:

Aiph5u, I cannot thank you enough for your patient guidance.

Jim

1 Like

Hey Jim,

Yes, that’s what I meant above. Potentiometer is not Operator Panel but Analog Terminal. But it’s written here also correctly: “1 For Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control” which means, “not the Operator Keys (0)”

:slight_smile:

Comme Ghislain @blaghislain le dit dans Recommended Huanyang Configuration

Yes, we discussed it above to set the lower limit according to the rated lower limit of the spindle (8,000 rpm).

Jim, I thank you too. The fact that I helped you was not only because I am so helpful but also because I wanted to check whether the translation of my knowledge from the (much better documented) Omron MX2 / Hitachi WJ200 VFD is correct, and because I am collecting the practical knowledge for a Wiki/FAQ entry for the VFD/Spindle Topic. The Huanyang VFD seems by far to be the most-used VFD here.

1 Like

Most used doesn’t always equate to best.

Jim, which model VFD are you using. Is it this one?

1.5KW VFD, Variable Frequency Drive (KL-VFD15), 110VAC input

And the spindle is this correct?

I want to order these both soon. I’ll start out with the trim router but plan to move away from it as soon as I can.

1 Like

Bob, no - I went with the 2.2 kW model in case I ever have a need to go bigger. I have access to 220 volts, though. I think there is a 110 volt version of the 2.2, but that requires all of a 20 amp circuit. That lack of overhead would make me nervous. Yes, that’s the one. Remember, so your expectations aren’t mismatched to what you are getting, from 8K RPMs to up to about 12K RPMs, the sound from the unit is a soft hum. The VFD fan is quite a bit louder. From 12K RPM’s to around 16K RPMs, you’ll start to hear the spindle fan catch up in volume to the VFD fan. From 16K RPMs on up, the spindle fan begins to outpace the VFD fan and above 20K RPM’s it’s loud. Not as loud as a router, but loud.

If you have any issues connecting the VFD to the Onefinity controller, feel free to check in. I got that part to work on the first try today. After yesterday, having this part of the process go well was a little disorienting.

Regarding the spindle - the collet nut is nicely drill-balanced. The collet itself (ER16 outside and 1/4" inside) is out of character with the nice quality of the spindle. You might consider heading over to ToolsToday and picking up an Amana collet.

Last, you probably already know this, but a burn-in will help get the grease inside your bearings nicely distributed. I didn’t know this, but once I did I was able to find a procedure: 5X 1 min on and one min off at spindle’s lowest rated speed. In our case, that’s 8000 RPM. Then the same thing at 16,000 RPM. Then the same thing at 24,000 RPM.

Jim

2 Likes

Hey Jim, hey Bob, hey all,

in my spindle’s manual it says:

A cold spindle must always be run in thoroughly before commissioning in order to bring the bearings gently to operating temperature. The mentioned running-in times must be doubled if the spindle has not been used for more than a week, is brand new or the bearings have been changed.
When running in, the speed must be set to the minimum rated rpm and held for at least 1 minute. The speed can then be increased in steps of 6000 rpm and must be held for a further minute at a time. The speed is gradually increased until the desired operating speed is reached.

– Source: Mechatron HFS Series Spindle Operating Manual

2 Likes

Aiph5u,

FYI - that J1 jumper had no effect whatsoever on making the VFD “talk” to the Onefinity controller. It was all straightforward and worked the first time.

Jim

Hey Jim,

you got the serial line (RS-485/ModBus) to work?

You’ve set PD001 and PD002 both to “2” and then said “M3 8000” in the MDI Tab?

Congratulations!

If it all works for you, may I ask, would you say that this buildbotics information was sufficient and is the right one?

Or was this the more important information for you:

That should be a little G-Code files you run anytime it’s not been used for a few days. My Shopbot had a file that did a 10 minute warmup routine. I’d fire it up and run it while getting my files, tools, material and other supplies together.

1 Like

Yes sir, I surely did. PD001 and PD002 set at 2 were easy. The MDI was a challenge because I had no idea what to do after the connection was made. Don’t tell anyone, but I was searching Onefinity menus for green and red “Run” and “Stop” buttons. Then I thought I could manually enter G-Code commands to make it work. I figured MDI stands for “Manual Data Input” or some such. Of course, G-Code does not have a “Run” or “Stop” Command. Google then taught me that M-Code handles this. Then I tracked down M3, S, and M5. Remembering that the VFD had been programmed to tun the spindle at a minimum of 140 Hz, I typed in “M3 S8400”. I was astonished to witness the spindle silently spin up until the controller interface and the VFD both displayed “8400.” I was equally astonished to see the spindle spin to a stop after I entered “M5”. I checked the direction of rotation, checked the “Reverse” button in the controller interface, spun up the spindle once again to be certain it was spinning in the correct direction. I then ran the spindle through a break-in routine and quit while I was ahead. Tomorrow the Amana collet arrives, so tomorrow the spindle gets mounted.Getting there, one step at a time.

I watched Ben Meyers. Easy Peasy. He’s a good (including self-deprecating) teacher. It is also nice to have the PD settings at the bottom of the “Tool” page of the controller interface. As you work on your Wiki, may I suggest how helpful it would have been to have a “Gold Standard” of configuration sheets that is routinely updated at hand? Pretty much all of yesterday’s frustration came from conflicting documents and conflicting. You Tube tutorials. Perhaps when things settle down a little at Onefinity headquarters, they might choose and support a spindle just as they have a laser. That way, the product and the relevant information can come from one authoritative source.

Jim

1 Like

Ha! I just discovered how to do it manually, one command at a time. I’ll be writing “complete sentences” in no time. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Jim

1 Like

Hey Jim,

I can well understand your enthusiasm when you noticed that it works and obeyed your commands (and the spindle starts slowly). I congratulate you. Looks like you can now work very quickly with the machine when the milling bit is there!

Unfortunately I met three other people in two other threads where it didn’t work (or at least haven’t reported anything) and I don’t know why it doesn’t work.

Yes, I would also like to be able to make a gold standard manual for it, but that cannot be. You have already seen it, only the mains electricity, and then only the spindle, they are just not the same everywhere. And even among the innumerable options in a VFD there are many, of which it cannot be said how people would like to have them or would need them.

A good VFD manual (that really explains all the innumerable things such a device can do) is about 400 pages long. Expecting a standard of settings that works for everyone would be like if someone gets on a railway station and expects from the ticket seller to tell him where to travel (and he would send everybody to the same place). The more capabilities a tool has the more the user has to know and to understand what the tool is capable of - and then being able to know what to want.

That’s why I think it’s best if people don’t use the Copy & Paste settings they pick somewhere on the Internet without knowing their meaning (many do that), but rather if you could get them to understand the options. Then they would be able to decide for theirselves which setting they need now or which they prefer now. I would try to achieve this goal with a wiki / FAQ: Also teach something.

But back to your suggestion: I think a table that compares similar settings of different VFDs should be feasible.

2 Likes