"Cartridge based" machining area

Still mulling this over, I am looking towards machine flexibilty. This is my third machine, and Elite Foreman.

I have had the Journeyman with a QCW frame, and while it was nice, the idea of doing metal on it… well left me concerned.

My new torsion box table will be 70x70 with a 12" notch at max X to allow for vertical milling. The table has 3/4" Baltic birch ply top & bottom,

So, what I am thinking of doing is mounting the 1F on blocks, to raise it a bit. Then drill holes in the tabletop on a regular pattern. I would use the 1F to layout the grid (at 96 mm (3.8") to match MFT, but any should work)

With the grid of holes laid out, use threaded inserts in the holes. Now I can clamp down different pallets for different applications.

• Standard T track pallet
  • Hardboard & Aluminum pallet to work metals
  • Vacuum pod pallet
  • ? what weird stuff comes up.

What I am wondering about is:

• While the cartridges/pallets remain flat enough (yes may need to face after each install)
  • Will clamps into the threaded inserts hold down the cartridges well enough (just hold the perimeter)
  • Making the cartridge off the machine, then just bolting it down is easier.

Thanks for your thoughts.

If I was going to use this machine to cut metal mostly I would make the table top out of metal, aluminum most likely,
IMHO
Pat

1 Like

I am guessing 20% or less metal work.

I am making a clone of a SMW 1/4" aluminum pallet. Using disposable tempered hardboard underneath the pallet should allow me to use a bit of mist cooling if needed. When the hardboard starts to decompose … make a new one. So for a 16x6 aluminum pallet a 30x 24 hardboard table protector.

My SMW clone will slots to hold it to the sub surface. That should give it enough play to tram the plate in.

1 Like