Christmas Ornament - Epoxy Disaster

Yes they are likely the same in thingness despite having differing ratios. But don’t mix brands or product

1 Like

Thanks all - I was referring to A/B parts in terms of resin/hardner, not ratios. This Alumilite Clear Urethan Casting Resin just says A & B - but it doesn’t say which is the hardener. I’m assuming B is the hardener…

Was it a translucent tint? I use translucent, solid and micas depending on the effect. For a solid inlay color just use the solid tints.

Here are a couple I use.

Rolio Pigments Resin Liquid Pigment Solid Colors - 18 Vibrant Colors for Epoxy Resin, Painting, DIY Art, Jewelry Making, Crafts Decorations, Garment Accessories - 0.33 oz/10 ml Each
https://a.co/d/iQeKi1G

Miraclekoo 18 Colors Epoxy Resin Pigment Opaque Liquid Epoxy Resin Color Dye Resin Colorant,Solid Color
https://a.co/d/7AWtmou

You can mix custom colors and get larger bottles. For coasters I usually don’t use more than a few drops per 20ml of epoxy.

I expect they’re probably the same stuff regardless of name or seller - I pick which one based on delivery times.

Your right I just looked back at my amazon orders and it was translucent

BTDT :smiley: It’s easy to miss. The translucents are good for combo projects where you want the color but also see something (like river stones) that you’ve got embedded in the epoxy. For inlays on wood, they don’t really show because the wood color tends to overwhelm the tint color. The solids are just the ticket for getting the color you want in the inlay.

One nice thing about epoxy inlays is you can carve out the bad epoxy (if you haven’t moved the material) and re-pour. I’ve done that when chasing a color I’m looking to match exactly - just keep at it and recarving the fails until I get it right :laughing:

I’m glad I saw this posting.
Last weekend I attended a seminar on using Alumilite Resin. Whoever told you that you have 40 minutes working time is wrong. Alumilite only makes 2 types of resin and it is called fast and slow. The fast has an open time of about 6 minutes and the slow has an open time of about 10 minutes although you can extend these by a little bit. By open time, I mean that the center of the pour starts heating up at that end of this time which is how the resin sets.
Alumilite is to be used with a pressure pot to get the bubbles out of the resin as it sets. You have to pour and get it into the pot before it starts setting. If you don’t, you have exactly the problem you had.
I was glad to see that you used a gram scale to measure your Alumilite. It must be done this way as 1 part is heavier than the other part (which is why 1 jug has more in it than the other). BTW, a good trick on this is to pour part 1 in a disposable cup that is on the gram scale (lets say you want 200 grams total). If you pour 104 grams of the 1st part, then just add enough of the 2nd part to make the total 208 grams.
And if you have left over resin from the pour, let it setup in the cup and keep the ‘hockey puck’, as they can be turned on a lathe later as lids for vases or jars you turn.
Mike

2 Likes