Ready to start Epoxy pouring

I’ve had my OneFinity for a touch over a year now and I’m ready to venture into the world of Epoxy Pours for things like Catch-All trays.

Recommendations? Advice? Epoxy’s to stay away from? Epoxy’s to consider using?

Thanks, JP

I’ve been considering getting into this myself for the past several years. The general consensus who grace youtube with their reviews pretty much agree on Total Boat and Art Resin for quality and clarity in resin pours and Smooth-On for professional mold-making.

I’d highly recommend a vacuum chamber for degassing but, other than that, it appears to be pretty straight forward as long as you’re working with a decent resin and decent molds.

Need to account for deep or shallow pours. 2 different products.

1 Like

I’ve used a number of different products with varying levels of success.

I had a bad experience with Total Boat Thick Set, though I’m still not sure why. I poured less than the 2" max and it still kicked over night, nearly ruining the project. I use their high performance all the time without any problems. In fact, it is my go-to for any normal sized depths (recommend medium over fast – it gives just enough extra working time).

I’m now using Super Clear Liquid Glass (at the recommendation of Cam from Blacktail) for deep pours and it has worked well so far. I did get a lot of bubbles around day 3 on my first pour, but I think that was my fault during mixing. I’ve since invested in a degassing chamber. I’m about to give that a try here in the next few weeks, so I can report back on my experiences later.

** If you chose Super Clear, sign up for their mailing list and you will get emails about sales – I’ve seen as much as 30% off, making it one of the least expensive epoxies by volume; I just looked and the deep pour is currently on sale through their website – less expensive than Amazon by a few :dollar: :slight_smile: **

I’ve also used Pro Marine with good luck. Only for thinner pours though; I’ve since switched to Total Boat.

Hope this helps.

-Tom

2 Likes

Right now I’m looking at 1/2" to 3/4" depth

Hi @JPM - essentially your choices are “normal” epoxies for below 1/8", and thick pour epoxies for <2". There are a lot of variables here, but under normal circumstances and normal temperatures, that’s the demarc. So, you are likely “stuck” with deep pour epoxies unless you want to do multiple pours to achieve your final depth.

-Tom

1 Like

Nope, don’t want to do the multiple pour thing if I can avoid it. Looks like the first round of pours will be just over 3/16". Next question is will I still need to torch it to get rid of the bubbles??

I’ve had good luck with JDiction Epoxy Resin -… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SJTL65G?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share for coasters with <=1/4” pours. I’ve only used it a couple times. Some reviewers report hardening problems but I chalk that up to it being a little finicky in mix ratio.

As for a torch, I use my heat gun to get surface bubbles and works well.

Ignore the tear out…was going to be wood inlay, but got tore up so decided the weathered look would be good under epoxy :wink:

Slow cure epoxy? Debatable – the bubbles usually resolve themselves. Faster cure, then absolutely. Though I use a heat gun - same effect, lower temperature.

-Tom

1 Like

What do you mean by a deep pour?

Depends on the epoxy. Most regular epoxies deep pour is anything > 0.125". For “deep pour” epoxies, it is usually anything greater than 1-2".

1 Like

The epoxy resin store in ca has numerous types of resins. Check out their website. They ship fresh not stored resins. Prices are very reasonable. Give them a call for more information.

Which “epoxy resin store in ca”? Can you provide a link?

-Tom

[

Clear Epoxy Resin for tables bartop marine repair jewelry casting
google.com

1111_a5ca2292-df31-462f-85b4-b38e54d980dd.png

](Clear Epoxy Resin for tables bartop marine repair jewelry casting – The Epoxy Resin Store)

2 Likes