Configuring a custom VFD and spindle

Well above I’ve shown you the settings for a custom VFD entry, from the buildbotics source code.

This is to expect. Your support is <support@onefinitycnc.com>, which will tell you they don’t support spindles / VFDs :slight_smile:

Hey Sid,

a VFD and its spindle cable usually is a source of heavy EMI. That’s why a shielded spindle cable like shown here is strongly recommended, otherwise you have to expect disturbances. The same applies to the VFD itself, which is usually enclosed in a earthed control cabinet like shown here.

Usually for the ModBus communication cable, a twisted-pair cable is enough, however you can still have hum if you have not grounded everything properly.

Also I would look for poor connections, e.g. this issue already mentioned above, however there are even issues known like this:

Aiph5u, Thanx for your time and assistance in verifying my numbers. I will let the board know if I find a solution for the errors

Thanx, Sid

1 Like

All control and spindle cables have been replaced with grounded shielded cables, except the twisted rs485 test cable

Hey Sid,

besides the error messages/reported CRC errors, is there any limitation when using the VFD/Spindle via the CNC Controller?

Hi Sid, thanks for contact me. I could get the Fulling running with the Onefinity controller, but not at “100%”speed. Onefinity did not help me on configuring the Fulling and recommended me the Buildbotics forum. Buildbotics, on the other hand, just said their Controller software (1.0.3) has the Fuling DZB300 VFD selectable from the Toll Configuration drop down menu, but refuse to give any support on configuration because I’m a Onefinity customer. I contact PwnCNC support as I saw a video from them about the Buildbotics controller and they promptly sent me a picture of the Buildbotics software page ( Tool Configuration section ) where it shows the Tool Configuration Notes and the Active Modbus Program section for the Fuling DZB300 VFD. Getting the commands and values they use I was hoping to use the same data to configure a Custom Modus for the Fuling on the Onefinity controller software. The problem is that there is a line of command (freq-scaled-set) that can not be selectable on the Onefinity software when trying to configure a Custom Modbus VFD for the Fulling. Apparently it does not exist yet on the Onefinity side. And this line is related with the communication setting range (% of maximum frequency) and you need to set a value of 10000, which means 100%. The line would be (freq-scaled-set, address 8192, value 100000). I changed the freq-scaled-set on the Custom Modbus VFD for max-freq, but it had no effect on the max frequency achievable.
At the end, the controller could communicate with the fulling VFD, but apparently the max achievable frequency is limited to 80%, which I concluded to be the default value for the Fulling VFD. My spindle is 800Hz and when I command 24000rpm, for example, it goes to 640Hz and 19200 rpm; if I command 12000 rpm, it gives you actually 9600 rpm and 320Hz. What that freq-scaled-set command would have done is change this value from 80 to 100%, so what speed you command with m3 is what you get on the VFD and spindle. Unfortunately I came to a conclusion that it will only have proper with the Fulling VFD (m3 speed command on the software matching exactly the speed command on the spindle) when Onefinity updates the software and give specific configuration for the Fulling or when this command line (freq-scaled-set) is made available for the Custom Modbus configuration in the drop down list of the menu of commands. But I’m curious now to know if you got another way for the full communication with the Fulling.Please let me know.

That is the picture I got from the Buildbotics Controller Software page:

Sorry Aiph5u, the board wouldnt let me keep posting yesterday, everything seems to function properly. the only thing Im not sure of is it takes the spindle a couple of seconds to respond to commands, that might be normal… we will see

1 Like

Hi Mauro, not sure if you got my return email yesterday but will repost it here.
try this link, it might help Support Fuling Model DZB200 Series VFD - githubmemory

HI Sid. I’ve checked the configuration and everything works perfectly. I could not set value for command line “0”(status-read) because It has a default value of zero that could not be changed. On command line “1” (max-freq-fixed) I had to set a value of 8000 because my spindle is 800 Hz. Everything is working as expected. I’m so glad and thanks very much for your help. Thanks for your support !

1 Like

Hi Mauro, so glad to hear it works.

Cheers, Sid

Hey all,

I just got a private message of someone wanting to use a H100 VFD, asking if it is supported by Onefinity. The answer is, the settings for the compatible V70 VFD are in the 1.0.9 source code but no entry to select it as ‘tool-type’ :frowning: .

What you can do easily and at once on your Onefinity Controller is create a custom ModBus VFD in the Tool Configuration Tab .

The H100 is compatible with the V70, so you can use the V70 settings to create a custom VFD program in the Onefinity Controller. The V70 settings needed to achieve this are shown here.

Further Reading

Yes that was me. Sorry about the pm. But any way the settings worked perfectly. Thanks you and Sid!

1 Like

Hello I am getting the onefinity cnc and wanted to use my fuling VFD. I can’t seem to open the link. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum and Onefinity community! :grinning:

If it is the github link it will not open for me either.

Thanks. Super excited to start using this machine! Just hoping to get the process going smoothly without hiccups. Hopefully there is a secondary link available!

There are many experts on this forum that will help you in short time.

@Aiph5u et al give very thoughtful and thorough answers to questions, especially those that are more focused on the electronic/electrical aspects of the machine components.

1 Like

I have a Elite Foreman and a 80mm spindle on order. Can anyone give me a rough idea on the minimum (or recommended) length of the spindle power cable, from the VFD to the spindle?

Thanks
Brian

just got my Elite Foreman with 80mm spindle and I am using 16feet. I put cable into the X drag chain
and hang cable on the y .

To Me the y drag chain is to small to run the spindle cable but x is ok. if we had bigger drag chains then I think 20 feet would do it for both, Also my vfd is right below in the box to the right, Water cooling in the box to left.
This setup is working great.

1 Like

Thanks.
Your set up looks great. I’m planning on a sound proof box, will have to look at the design to see if this would work for me.

Brian