Dust Collection - Festool Midi vs Oneida Supercell

I am a bit of a fanatic on dust in my garage shop. I have both a Festool Midi and an Oneida Supercell, and use both almost every day I am out there.

The Festool vac is great within the Festool ecosystem (of small tools), but I use the Supercell with the table saw and router table. It does a fabulous job on my router table, and I have cut a lot of raised panels in mdf without any airborne dust.

Before I go and reconfigure my dust collection ducting, what can folks tell me about their experience with these forms of dust collection (on a Woodworker Pro).

The one (super) negative on the Supercell is the noise level, which I can’t imagine enduring for a long cnc carve.

Thanks in advance.

I have both and have used both. I reduce the supercell down to 2.5" on my 1F. It is awesome, and since my supercell is hooked up to a 55gal drum I never have to worry about filling the drum during longer carves. I have a little computer desk right next to my cnc, and then on the other side is the supercell. You are right, it is loud. That said if I’m hanging out in the shop during the carve I have my isotunes ear protection on and am listening to music, and it doesn’t bother me. My garage is decently insulated, and between the cnc and the supercell you can hear it in the house but it’s not that bad.

2 Likes

Great. Thanks for the input. I think I will try some sound tests before I reconfigure my ducting, but I am leaning toward the Supercell as my primary dust solution (as it is with my router table).

I have a Supercell and agree it is loud and not only that but in the summer here in Southern Utah it gets to 110 F and the Supercell pumps a lot of hot air into my shop, I have not been too thrilled with it, it does filter the air good (HEPA FILTER) but lacks the volume I had with my prior 2 stage dust collector( Grizzley).
Pat

Thanks for posting this. I also have a supercell and am setting up the 1F Foreman. Can I ask what you use to reduce the 4" hose to 2.5 on your machine, and if I may also ask, what do you use to wrangle the hoses? I got the pwncnc v10 dustboot at 2.5, and was thinking about exchanging it for the 4" and just using the DC hose all the way to the machine, but pwncnc recommended I reduce to 2.5. So it’s good to see someone is having good results with that. Just wondering what equipment you use for the hoses. Thanks!

Here’s my setup. I think I’m using the dustimator dust boot and I really like it. I I’m using this reducer from powertec I bought off Amazon. The swivel I got off etsy - not sure he sells the physical product anymore but I linked to the digital files.

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks! Appreciate it.

I HATE THAT SUPERCELL SO MUCH! It is far too loud.

I think with a good dust shoe it is not necessary

I hear you (mostly). Supercell is loud. But, I mostly got it for my router table, which I use more as a shaper for raised panels, rails, stiles, dadoes, etc. and it collects ALL of the dust from these operations.

I have an old 3 hp PC router on a Jessem router lift with a Incra Clean Sweep and inserts that does an excellent job of collecting all the dust as well (and to your point about a good dust shoe).

I am looking forward to getting my cnc machine and skills to the point where I might be able to replace some of these router table operations, but I know it is going to take time to get there.