Estop Issue Not turning on

Hello

I have seen a few posts but have had no luck. I just had to engage the emergency stop while doing a project. Now I am trying to restart the system and it isn’t turning back on. I have tried to play with the red and yellow button to reengage it with no luck.

any Ideas? I was on a roll and came to a screeching halt!

Hey Jgolden4455,

do you mean you hit the Hardware Emergency Button on top of the Onefinity Controller box?

As Onefinity stated here, their Hardware Emergency Stop button is not wired to the “estop” input of the mainboard, but interrupts power to the entire Controller at the power supply instead. This means that when you press the Big Red Button on top of the case, the Onefinity Controller does not enter the software-controlled estopped state that was developed by buildbotics and that is able to trigger safety actions such as stopping milling motor or spindle, but instead it cuts power to the Controller immediately (and thus, to all stepper motors), which means

1. :warning: your milling motor or spindle still runs,
  2. :warning: all stepper motors lost their Electromagnetic Detent, holding their position only by the remaining Magnetic moment, which allows all axes of the CNC to be moved much more easily by external forces (like gravity), i.e. depending on the weight of the milling motor, the Z slider could start to move by itself towards worksurface (which, if milling motor still runs, can lead to a hole in your worksurface (as shown here) or worse to a severe injury of operator or to blocking of milling motor axle and by this to a severe accident (including fire)).
  3. :warning: the Raspberry Pi inside the Onefinity Controller encountered power loss without having been properly shutdown, what Raspberry Pi Support does not recommend.

Better use the virtual “Emergency Stop” button shown on the application’s display on the upper right instead.

Or you can, however, add a Hardware Emergency Stop Button which would trigger this software-controlled “estopped” state, as described here by connecting it to pin 23 (‘estop’) of your breakout board adapter. This is what Buildbotics intended by creating the “estopped” functionality.

On the other hand, if your Risk Assessment demands the immediate cut off from electricity of the whole system (e.g. for cases of fire), you should ensure that all components are cut off by the Emergency Switch, like shown here (and not only the Controller):
Connection-diagram-1024x593__66.7pct

Did you try to turn the button after having raised it? My (external) Emergency Button works like that. If the Controller stays dead, I would write to support@onefinitycnc.com.

1 Like

Send an email to OF support. Mine did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago when my son hit the physical e-stop button on top of the controller. The machine simply wouldn’t power back on. They gave me a list of things to try, and ultimately we determined (on my machine…) the switch mounted to the bottom of the e-stop failed and I simply had to twist the pair of wires together to bypass the switch so we could finish my son’s project.

1 Like