Going to buy a OneFinity in the near future - Spindle or Router?

Hi - I have been wanting to buy a OneFinity CNC router for woodworking but need advice. People say a router will burn out so should I go straight for the Spindle? I am new to this forum so if I need to be posting elsewhere please let me know. Any help greatly appreciated- I live in the UK so need to ensure I buy the right kit first time. Mark

1 Like

search “router vs spindle” here on the forum. There are plenty of post that will give you the knowledge to answer this question. I say it’s worth using a router to begin with and move to a spindle later. You can use the router to trim tabs flush after going to a spindle. Happy trails…

1 Like

If you’ve never used a CNC, get a router. Upgrade when you outgrow (which may be never) and save $800

5 Likes

Standby for a few weeks and watch my video on my recent upgrade :wink:

Seriously though, I agree with OF support – start simple, learn how to use your machine, and upgrade when you need to.

-Tom

3 Likes

Most people who frequent this forum will recommend a spindle for a number of reasons, all of which you can easily find through the search function.

I’ll recommend the opposite and say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a simple router. Sure, if you’re doing heavy production work, a spindle is great. If you’re just making stuff for yourself, a router will do you just fine 90% of the time. If you learn your feeds and speeds so you’re not putting it under a lot of strain, they can last a long time.

3 Likes

I would say get a spindle right away.
I purchased new Makita when I got my 1F. Used it for maybe 10-15hrs total and couldn’t handle the noise + occasionally speed switch adjustment and other minor things… Got the spindle and love it!
Would never go back to router!
Don’t be in the same boat :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree with Humbert, maybe a little more difficult to begin with but from there on much better, sound, speed change, collet size and just better in my opinion.
Pat

1 Like

Yes, a router can burn out, but there are scores of people here who have been running them for years. Just have spare brushes on hand, and whatever extra collets you need will be an additional cost (I bought a 1/8" collet when I was running a router).

It really depends on your level of experience with a CNC. If you’re a first-time user, I would recommend a router because this will remove a layer of complexity as compared to a spindle. There’s no doubt or argument that a spindle is by far the best option for an experienced user, but if you are just beginning, I would recommend a router so you can focus entirely on the machine itself. Then, as mentioned by @OnefinityCNC, get a spindle if and when you feel you’re ready.

1 Like

I would add, if some extra money is not an issue, get a spindle. I understand router is recomended for beginners, but it’s not that hard to switch or start with spindle. I started CNC journey not even half a year ago, went from router to spindle in weeks. I would love this kind of recommendation when buying 1F :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will follow your advice. I am not totally new to CNC, but it’s 24 years since I taught it in school using a Denford CNC Milling Machine. Things have changed a lot and the machines are now affordable for me to have my own. I have looked at many different ones but the engineering quality of the Infinity looks the best I have reviewed so far.

1 Like

My two cents…
Take the plunge and buy a liquid cooled spindle right away if the funds allow. I can say for sure that I would be using my machine far less often if I (and my neighbors) had to listen to a trim router screaming for hours at a time. Another benefit is there is nothing to stir up dust like an air cooled spindle or router. So after I do roughing passes, I have no need for dust collection other than a small desk fan with a filter in front of it. For me, the sound alone is worth the extra investment because it means I can run 6 hour reliefs into the wee hours or anytime of day and it’s making about as much noise as my electric toothbrush.

2 Likes

You asked the wrong question. What you should ask is “How many of you with a spindle feel it wasn’t a good purchase?” I suspect you will not find very many people who would go back to a router. I skipped a router and I would tell everyone who is going to by a 1F to do the same. Unless you are planning on using 1/2" shank bits get a 1500w air cooled 80mm spindle and be done with it. The only reason not to would be if the funds don’t allow.

When I got my 2.2kw water cooled spindle I just used a bucket with a cheap pump in it. I manually turned it on and set the speed. Back when I bought mine the 80mm mount wasn’t an option so I had to buy it after the fact. I’ve spent far too much money upgrading my 1F (upgraded to the 48" when it was released, upgraded to the Z-20, upgraded to the pro, etc.). Buy want you think you will want in the future and be done with it.

3 Likes

Hi Alex

Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Your comments are valuable. I have looked at Gemitsu by Sainsmart and they are all fitted with spindles as standard but the solid engineering look of 1F looks far more robust.

Regards

Mark

1 Like

Mark,
This is the brand which I started my CNC journey with. Simpe advice - AVOID!
1st attempt: I purchased 4040Pro version. While assembly and very light jobs worked flawlessly, I did outgrow it in 2 weeks ! - returned it.
2nd attempt: Ordered PROVerXL 4030 V2, thinking I could expend it later on. Same day I assembled it, nothing but troubles. Limit switch broke, Z slider grinding, etc… - returned it.

That’s when I started digging more and more in CNC “desktop” machines. Found 1F, bought it, love it, will stick with it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I wanted to hear! Genuine advice from someone with real experience. You have convinced me that my desire to buy 1F for the last two years has been the correct way to go. I am hoping to have my garden workshop finished by the end of September. This has been built specifically for housing a CNC router and as a general woodwork shop. I will then order the 1F. I think I will start with the router and upgrade to a spindle later if I need to. My main concern is the noise from the router. I am thinking of some sort of cover over the whole machine to muffle the sound a bit owing to the proximity of the neighbours.

Mark

1 Like

Hi Hubert H

Thank you for your advice. I am keen on the spindle to reduce the noise and for more precision. I will just have to set aside more funds for it. Quite a few people on the forum seem to favour a spindle so it looks to be the right way to go.

Mark

I purchased a spindle and love it, the noise level alone is worth it… it’s a bit more costly and It takes a bit to set up with the electrical and the VFD controller and water pump. But once it’s working there’s no comparison.
It also wouldn’t hurt to try a trim router … you can always upgrade.
Wish you good luck

1 Like

I’ve been using the router for 3 years now. I bought a pack of extra brushes and have only replaced them once so far. I have machined at least a couple thousand signs and different items, without a problem. So i’d say, a router is very sufficient to start with.

2 Likes

Router is more suitable for novice, save more money and easy to start.

1 Like

The router will get you to 99% of what you’ll mostly ever do. The spindle is extra and provides for finer details in terms of speeds and whatever add-ons you may have, such as cooling features.

I used my router for several years before going the spindle route. I do like the added features the spindle provides but I haven’t learned anything new by having it.

Good luck.

1 Like